Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for component to measure tyre pressure — Parallax Forums

Looking for component to measure tyre pressure

linocklinock Posts: 31
edited 2006-03-18 08:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

did somebody tried an application like that, interfacing wireless receiver for tyre pressure with a Basic Stamp ?
Which wireless component(s) could do the job ?
I've looked the net with google but there's a huge bunch of informations but none is usable and apart papers about how it works or how it should work, i've found nothing else that complies with the design i want.
Wireless sensors not located in valves but inside the rims.

Comments

• JohnnyBJohnnyB Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-17 15:51
    The components for that project are going to be tough to find. Might want to try to source the parts from some of the high end autos that have the system in place. (Corvette for one I think). Course you'd probably have to do a lot of signal analysis to figure things out.
    JohnnyB
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-03-17 19:28
    I would think any small wireless transmitter would work if you put the receiver close enough. you will need to get the sensors and other items together and design a diagram of the project so we can see what you plan to build, good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • pharseidpharseid Posts: 192
    edited 2006-03-17 20:20
    · A couple companies make a little MEMS pressure sensor. The one I would pick has temperature compensation and an integrated amplifier, which saves you having to supply an amp for the fairly weak signal the sensor produces. I think they sell for about $25.

-phar
  • linocklinock Posts: 31
    edited 2006-03-17 21:18
    Thanks to all of you for ideas and informations.

Well all this is very confusing, there are so many things around TPMS but no datasheets, the only schematic diagram i found is this one.
    micro2.jpg

and here some informations about a batteryless sensors that sticks inside rims.
    www.edn.com/article/CA421537.html#SAW%20sensors%20enable%20batteryless%20TPMS

All this is very attractive but no way to find out where to buy, the Corvette systems and as many other cars are using complete valves systems with battery embedded in a little plastic or rubber case but they do not last so much time and they have a side effect, they do modify the wheel balance...not important for an ordinary car with normal use but for a car running on tracks, even at amateur level, this changes a lot, so that's why a sticked chip (it looks like a tiny stamp) on the center of the rim is better choice.

well ok after searching i think, if i understand right what is said in this document, the chips i'm trying to find would cost around 7 Euro.
    www.newtech-ibs.com/neuf/frames/articles/racetech_08_01.html

i'll try to get in touch with them if they just don't drop my mail in trash as i'm not professionnal lol.gif
  • quick questionquick question Posts: 50
    edited 2006-03-17 21:37
    I'd check the USPTO database for schematics.
    see: http://www.uspto.gov/patft/
    download the tiff imager. Search on tire presure sensor.
    The explanations in the patents will show many ways to actively or passively transmit from inside a tire.

nono.gif· Not that I would ever encourge anyone to "copy" anything that may be patented.

It sure is however a great way to come up to speed on ANY technology.
  • linocklinock Posts: 31
    edited 2006-03-18 08:16
    I'm not looking for patented schematics to copy but only for a distributor which sells passive sensors for tyre pressure/temperature + rf module running with them and at least a datasheets showing it's caracteristics.
    Thanks anyway. smile.gif