Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
demo board vs/and/or development board — Parallax Forums

demo board vs/and/or development board

rockin_rickrockin_rick Posts: 32
edited 2006-03-17 15:45 in Propeller 1
There has been 'a lot' of talk here recently about the demo board for the propeller. Is this going to be an all-in-one development board setup like the PDB, or is it simply a smaller scale 'development' board?

I get the impression that this demo board will not be as 'complete' as the PDB, is this the case? (It seems appropriate as a 'demo' board...)

If so, will a full scale development board make an apperance sometime soon?

Just what all is going to be included on the demo board?

Rick

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-17 00:26
    The Demo board has a VGA port, composite video port, a PS/2 port, a programming port, a power supply circuit and a small breadboard - see the picture here www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp
  • rockin_rickrockin_rick Posts: 32
    edited 2006-03-17 02:55
    Yeah, I've seen the pic, but there is talk from Parallax that they are redesigning the demo board, which could add/remove features. I was wondering what these changes were and if this was going to end up as the only development board, or what...

Rick
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-17 04:18
    It's still a *demo* board -- we have to do something small to get things going and give people a taste of the Propeller. We're adding another PS2 port and making a small change to the design. The current boards are very conservative in the PS2 (mouse/keyboard) port design; now that we have better understanding of the devices Chip is removing a few unnecessary bits which frees up a few pins, hence lets us add another port (now there will be one for keyboard, another for mouse).

I also heard through a colleague today that we'll build the USB circuitry into the board just to simplify things (as with the USB-BOE).

To your concern of "the only development board" -- no; just give us a bit of time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2006-03-17 05:06
    Is it possible to create a small interface board for the PDB?· ... One that could plug into the BS2p40 socket?

Just a thought.

Chris I.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-17 05:18
    You could do it but that may not be the best solution. I have a P8X32A-DIP40 on an old PDB and the LEDs are really dim because their blue (high forward voltage) and the current limiters are setup for 5 volts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-17 07:43
    How about a Development Board Wish list?

There is quite a bit to sort out if you want to be all things to all people.

I have been thinking that I would like a board for the P8X32A-DIP40 around a core of expandibe [noparse][[/noparse]and adaptible EEPROMs and/or RAMs] and a RTC with battery backup.

Then there is the question of whether one needs a RS-232 interface [noparse][[/noparse]or RS-485].

Of course there need to be a 3.3 volt supply on board, but should there be a 5.0v supply as well.

Of course some would like a Keyboard/Mouse plug and a Video plug. The darn Keyboard takes nearly 300ma of power at 5 volts.

LCDs, 4x4 Matrix keypads, I2C Graphic LCD interface, One-wire buttons, ........ Seems some of these things would be better served by an 'expansion plug' to some kind of personality cards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-17 15:45
    Kramer,

·· There is a similar thread on this at the following link.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=576669

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com