Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
5v - 24 vac Relay for Ventilation Controller Project? — Parallax Forums

5v - 24 vac Relay for Ventilation Controller Project?

Carl JohnCarl John Posts: 2
edited 2006-03-17 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
I have a project idea to build a ventilation controller for a residential furnace system.

This controller would open/close a 24vac motorized damper to allow/disallow outside air into the return duct of a forced air furnace system.

I would like to avoid actually powering the motor with the basic stamp, so I have a 120VAC/24VAC transformer.

My question is, do they make a relay that can be energized with a 5v signal·from the Basic Stamp 2 that will simply close the circuit to allow the 24vac through to the motor?

If not, would I need to provide a resistor,transistor,diode and then relay to bump up to a higher voltage (24vac) to control the motor.

If the latter, then I suppose I can eliminate the transformer and just power through the basic stamp.

Any input would be appreciated. See attached diagram for my proposed circuit to connect to the damper.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-16 16:32
    Sure, you could use an SSR like this: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=400-00010

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Carl JohnCarl John Posts: 2
    edited 2006-03-16 17:02
    Thanks for the reply - that is very helpful.

If I didn't have the transformer and therefore alternate power supply, could I use this relay to "bump up" the basic stamp output to power my load?

Sorry, haven't done much besides low voltage DC control.
    edited 2006-03-16 17:08
    That relay is simply an A/C switch -- it matches the requirements of your diagram. The nice thing about SSRs is that they take a low-current, low-voltage control signal, so you can use a pin right out of the Stamp. That particular relay with switch voltages up to 240 VAC, so you have a lot of latitude with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • JohnnyBJohnnyB Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-16 18:17
    Jon,
    Could that SSR be used to replace an SCR in some cases...where the SCR simply functions as a switch?
    Do you know what frequency it can handle?
    Thanks,
    JohnnyB
    edited 2006-03-16 18:22
    An SSR uses a triac, so it can only control AC; it will turn on DC, but the control signal won't matter once it's on -- it will stay on until the AC power is lost. That said, there are DC versions (SCR) of those relays. Have a look at the Crydom web site for details and specifications on those products.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • JohnnyBJohnnyB Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-17 16:19
    Thanks Jon,
    JohnnyB