Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Disappointing Flower — Parallax Forums

Disappointing Flower

andoando Posts: 11
edited 2006-03-23 18:14 in Robotics
Hey hey,
I figure since I posted my most recent peice, I should show you an older one. I made this piece in early 2005. It is a flower that uses ultrasonic rangers to establish a "safe zone" Once it figures out no one is around, it blooms. It stays bloomed until someone trys to look inside. When they do, it slams shut and wont even try to bloom for another 3 hours. I have posted the code below and wont be posting a schematic as I am afraid to open it again.

The site with more details is here:
www.andomation.com/stuff/flower

Hope you like it
Joe

Post Edited (ando) : 3/19/2006 4:25:44 PM GMT
432 x 324 - 88K
600 x 450 - 20K
600 x 450 - 25K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-15 22:31
    Joe,

·· This is nice, but what controller is it using?· Do you have code and/or schematics?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • rockin_rickrockin_rick Posts: 32
    edited 2006-03-16 23:37
    I like this a lot! Perhaps you could post some pics of the mechanical open/close servo mechanism/setup?

How close does someone have to get?

How long does it take to bloom from fully shut to fully open? Does it go really slow, like taking a min or two?

Where is the sensor located? Does it look straight up from inside? Just one?

Rick
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-03-17 01:21
    I am interested in making one, so, details would be greatly appreciated.

can anyone imagine a few of these together, have them open slow enough not to trigger each other, and when someone gets near they all close in a cascade?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • GSUIndianaGSUIndiana Posts: 8
    edited 2006-03-19 16:10
    Hey this thing is awesome! I visited your site and now see how the two pneumatic cylanders move all four pieces. I agree that if you could use actuators you could "Tease" People imagine if the closer you got the more it closed until finaly it slamed shut with you within 2 feet or so. Then it could open slowly as you walk away... or wait a random peroid of time after the area is cleared... Hey Ando this project rocks! Let us know if you go anywhere else with it!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    From···· ·Northwest· ·· Indiana-

Where·· the · introverts · stare
    at··· there·· ·shoes··· and·· the
    extroverts stare at your shoes!
  • ChrisPChrisP Posts: 136
    edited 2006-03-20 13:14
    On your page you said that you would like it to open very slowly and close fast, pnuematics are perfectly capable of this with one way flow controls. In one direction they have an adjustable flow limit, while in the opposite flow they are wide open.

Here's a link http://american.usa.norgren.com/usaview/Resources/usaview/0000008001/8150.pdf
    Metered fittings provide free flow out and metered flow in which should get the effect you wanted

Love the flower though, really neat project
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2006-03-23 18:14
    Hi Joe,

What is your pneumatic source for your disappointing flower? CO2 cartridge maybe? It looks too small to house even the smallest compressor.

Tim