Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Possability with Basic Stamp II? — Parallax Forums

Possability with Basic Stamp II?

blah23blah23 Posts: 4
edited 2006-03-13 20:03 in Robotics
Hi my name is Peter and Im currently attending university. Im new to robotics though I have done computer programming before and a small amount of electronics. I recently ordered the sumo competition kit with a friend (waiting until its not backordered to be shipped). But anyways back to be question.

I have a dream a building a somewhat small robot (30cm x 30cm x 30cm max size) that would basically act like a small organism ie, hide from loud nosies in the dark, but at other times prefer the sun, almost have a personality.

As far as I know I believe all of those things are possible with the Basim Stamp 2, but here is my real question.

As all living beings must do, the robot must eat/rest. So would it be possible to have sort of a docking station that the robot could go to, the docking station would be hooked up to some solar pannels in the window to provide electricity. Once the robot found the station it would dock and recharge its batteries.

But my real question is, could I make it so the robot always knew where the docking station was no matter where the robot was in the same room.

I hope that all makes sense, oh and if there is anything I assumed I could do with a Basic Stamp 2 please let me know, thanks

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-11 10:37
    The BasicStamp is a good beginning, but I would ask one question. Does your PC have a personality?
    My dog does, my computer more likely has a temperment.

Maping a room is a bit of a challenge too. I suspect that you would want to at least have the BasicStamp provide essential movement control and some [noparse][[/noparse]if no t all] of a sensor array.

From this platform, you could add a 386 single board computer with a 1 gigabyte SD card and really try to develop detailed mapping and storage of experiences.

Don't get me wrong. Some people will say that a BasicStamp or several can do as much, but for me it seems like each has its own area to manage best.

Parallax is coming out with a new processor called the Propeller and it is unlike anything ever sold before.· Actually it is 8 parallel processors.· Just maybe you could put a personality into it.· I really don't know, but I certainly want one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-11 13:39
    Peter -

One thing is certain, and that is that you have an attainable goal in mind, and that's the beginning of some real learning for you, as well as some hard work (in the beginning). All too many folks, who are new to the hobby robotics field, seem to want to do the impossible and then quit in frustration only because their initial goals were entirely too lofty.

It's probably best if you stick with a word like "behaviors" rather than "personalities" for a number of reasons. There are many folks who don't want to think that robots have the ability to take on "human" characteristics, whether they can or not. There is more on this below. People seem to be less aversive if one speaks of robots exhibiting "behaviors". Many animate and inanimate objects can "react" to external stimuli, so that becomes a more pallitable proposition in the eyes of many, and in the main.

Also be warned not to use the word "emotion" and "robot" in the same sentence. That's the most touchy area for humans! Little do many realize that there are even children's toys today which exhibit repeatable human emotional responses when exposed to the proper stimuli! Betsy Wetsie has come a LONG way over the years.

Sono-reactive (sound) or photo-reactive (light) behaviors are quite common, simple behaviors to have in small mobile robotic platforms and you will find numerous examples on the Internet. The platform can optionally be attracted or repelled by the particular external stimulus. If you have trouble finding examples, shout back and I'll pass on a few starters.

Personally, I wouldn't limit my thinking, at least on the first go around, to a platform of any given size. As you begin to see what you need, and roughly how it will lay out, the basic size will unfold in front of you. The later challange will be to make it as small as you choose for it to be. Being stymied by haing to find some part or element of a certain size, just isn't worth it in the beginning. IMHO it's a bit of a waste of time.

Docking stations and "eating" behaviors are also reasonably common. The more restricted the area in which the platform travels, the easier the problem becomes. Large areas and far-off, remote base stations are better left for larger, more sophisticated robotic platforms. I've seen examples of tiny photovores which use the light to which they were attracted, for charging their batteries, by going into rest mode once they find the actual source of light, and not just its general direction. In other words, they "go to sleep" while getting "nourishment". The "always knowing where the docking station is" usually becomes a "mapping" problem, and that is a task not generally suited to smaller platforms. Finding the docking station, by using external sensors, is usually the best way to go, whether they are part of the overall innate behaviors or not. Think: unique (coded) light beacon or frequency-specific sound beacon, in your consideration of how to approach it.

Here is just one source of robot kits, and you can see some of the behaviors they exhibit:
    http://www.robotstore.com/store/default.asp?catid=1524

Since you may not be familiar with it, here is Parallax latest robotic platform for beginners:
    http://www.scribblerrobot.com/

Although you can program·the Scribbler robot·any way you want, it comes factory pre-programmed with the following demonstration behaviors:
    http://www.scribblerrobot.com/ContentPages/Demos.aspx

Good luck with your project! I KNOW you'll enjoy the challange. We'll be happy to help you out along the way.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 3/11/2006 1:49:41 PM GMT
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-03-11 15:55
    You are gonna need a variate of sensors for this project, because life forms have a variate of sensors but first think:
    How will your bot get around?
    How Will it get food/energy?
    What will it look like?
    What lifeform will it be based on?
    Here are some neccessary sensors:
    IRs
    Whiskers
    touch sensors
    Check out BEAM Robotics
    and http://www.jcminventures.com/
  • blah23blah23 Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-12 00:32
    Thanks for all of the advice, I was wondering if this could be done from BOE, or would it be more pracitcal to do it another way
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-12 04:26
    Peter -

The BOE-Bot is a fine platform, and I'm sure it would serve your needs well. It's larger than you initially mentioned, but there's no reason why you couldn't scale it down for a future project. I doubt you'll outgrow it soon. You will also find no better technical support on the Internet, than here at Parallax!

Here is a comparison chart of all the Parallax robots, if you're interested:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/robotics/shop/robo_comparison.asp

There is a comprehensive sales method, called NEED/FEATURE/BENEFIT selling, which can be turned around and used for product evaluation. Here's just a sample of how you might use it:

/code

·Benefit of Robot in Question·· Feature that Provides Benefit··········· Perceived Need

·
    Small, low amperage motors· Continuous rot. servos used··· Reduced power consumption
    · "········ "·········· "········ "················ "········ "········· "··········· Smaller batteries, less weight
    · "········ "·········· "········ "················ "········ "········· "··········· Quieter running

Processor flexibility················ Removable processor··········· For later, faster versions
    ······ "··········· "······················ Co-processors available········ Greater sophistication

Ease of navigation·················· Wheeled platform·················Smooth running

Ease of use··························· PBASIC Language················ Simple, powerful, easy to learn

ETC
    code/

Something like that may help in your decision process.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-12 08:52
    The nicest thing about the BOEbot is that it is extremely easy to add-on to or to change as you learn.

I have another brand of bot that I cannot easily adapt to new ideas without drilling holes and cutting into the actual circuit board. It cost about the same, but never gets much attention.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • blah23blah23 Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-13 02:51
    I've looked around a bit at different products and I was curious as to which one would be the best for my project:
    1) BOE
    2) Super Carrier Board
    3) Stamp Stack II
    4) Somthing I've missed?

Stamp Stack: http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?CatID=90&SubCatID=93&SubSubCatID=138&ProductID=42
    Super Carrier Board: http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?CatID=90&SubCatID=93&SubSubCatID=139&ProductID=429

If you could please state the advantages and disadvantages of each it would be great thanks
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-13 03:59
    The BOE and the Super Carrier Board are very similar. The BOE is a bit more flexible for robot use because it can power servo's directly from the battery (as opposed to going thru the 5V regulator) and it has a small breadboard. The SuperCarrier doesn't ship with a breadboard - though you can add one for $4.95 www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=700-00012. The SuperCarrier board is also $45 less expensive than the BOE.

Since you've already ordered the SumoBot - I start experimenting with the on-board BS2. After you get familiar with it, you may find you'll need to upgrade to one of the more adavanced BS2 versions such as the BS2PX and the BOE/Super Carrier Board. The Stamp Stick II is functionally a BS2 - same as what's on the SumoBot.
  • Jake11611Jake11611 Posts: 47
    edited 2006-03-13 20:03
    Maybe you could put some sort of beacon at the feeding area and just have it drive away in a random direction when it's done 'eating'.