Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basicStamp - Director interfacing — Parallax Forums

basicStamp - Director interfacing

blacktomblacktom Posts: 1
edited 2006-03-10 14:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all.

I am using the EZIO board with director to develop interactive tangible interfaces. BTW (as someone erroneously posted someplace here), Director does not have access to the serial port, at least after version 6.5. Nevertheless, I am using a third-party plug-in (a.k.a. xtra), the DirectComm xtra with success, even developed an on-line meteorological sensoring system with multiple distributed stations (it was an assignment).

Now, my problem is this: EZIO is good, but I need more... So I am thinking on switching to BasicStamp. But, I am totally unaware of how the BasicStamp can communicate with Director. What I need is read A2d ports, read digital ins, write digital outs, perhaps write to a2d outs, and write to PWM outs. And some-easy-to-interface sensors.

Will BasicStamps do the job??

Thomas confused.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-10 14:55
    Sure, if you program it to do that. The BASIC Stamp is a general-purpose controller and will do what you tell it to do. You'll need to add an A2D that matches your needs, but the BASIC Stamp is capable of connecting to these devices; we do it all the time. For communications with Director you would use SERIN and SEROUT and develop a protocol that works on either end.

This article may help you: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv89.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax