Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
motorized security camera base — Parallax Forums

motorized security camera base

RocknVRocknV Posts: 7
edited 2006-03-11 04:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I'm relatively new to the forum and never worked with a Stamp.· I'm thinking about using a Prop-1 to control a motorized camera base.· I want it to pan the camera x degrees, pause for so many seconds, then pan and pause again, doing this continuously in a ~270 degree arc (i.e. it will pan back and forth, with pauses every so often).·
The camera with weatherproof housing weighs a few lbs - is there a robotic piece, like a wheel kit turned horizontal,·that parallax sells that I can use to work with a servo to make the base?· I was thinking of using a servo to drive the rotation, but I don't think a direct mount of a plate on the servo will be able to bear the weight.
I'm new at this type of project, so please excuse the basic question.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-10 05:11
    This thread is being moved from the Projects Forum to the BASIC Stamp Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2006-03-10 07:28
    Your current idea has a few problems. First, a servo motor does not fit the operation. Most servos will only give 120 degrees of rotation, some can do 140, an added inline extender can get 180, but that is max. You would have to go with a stepper motor, which is okay, considering the weight you want to push.
    The only issue involved is driving the motor, which would require another circuit, or a prebuilt unit that can be controlled by a stamp. There have been numerous discussions on stepper control, a search of posts would show lots of info. Once you have the hardware, making a program to run it would be fairly simple. I have seen many people wanting to use servos for camera movement, and personally, i find your average servo motor totally useless for the application. Even with prosumer cams that use servos for zoom and focus, they are jumpy, hard to control and have a hard time finding their position. If anyone wanted to use an industrial type servo with encoder capability, then the cost would be a major drawback. The Prop1 isn't what you want for control, unless you need the I / O capabilities it provides for other uses. A BS2 would be more than you would require for something like this. A "compatible" stepper motor could direct drive the camera on a base, the motor just has to be over- rated for the weight or torque.

kelvin
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-10 13:45
    If you wanted to get that 270deg panning arc....look in to gearing.
    Keep an eye on the rating of your stepper....if you need to step down your gearing (meaning, I think, that your stepper drives a large gear connected to a smaller gear on your camera) you may need an even higher rated stepper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • jaegjaeg Posts: 156
    edited 2006-03-10 18:17
    You could motify the servo so it can rotate all the way around. Search the web for tutorials on how to do this.
  • Jeff DegeJeff Dege Posts: 85
    edited 2006-03-10 18:29
    Or you could just put a worm-gear on an ordinary DC motor, and put an encoder on the shaft to give you feedback on position.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-10 18:38
    Limit switches also help in stopping the motor from running too far on you and also allow you to determine where it is. A good way to set your starting point!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • RocknVRocknV Posts: 7
    edited 2006-03-11 04:48
    Thanks for the comments - I've got to research the costs - my best option is a servo with a gear setup to magnify the rotation of the servo - I only need about a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. Now to find the gear system....