Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp bs2 to Microsoft Media Centre 2005 PC — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp bs2 to Microsoft Media Centre 2005 PC

jon123456789jon123456789 Posts: 11
edited 2006-03-14 17:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I've been into basic stamps for ages now, but want to expand my home control system (which uses a bs2) to control it from my microsoft media center PC.
Microsoft have released an SDK package for Microsoft media centre 2005 (downloadable from the microsoft web site)·that allows me to create new pages using html which I can navigate using my remote, but I am out of my limits when it comes to sending a command to the basic stamp from the PC (via its com port) based on a html command.
I want to be able to press a button on the html page and the pc send a command to the basic stamp to initiate a routine (such as turn light on via an x10 command, or turn on the heating via the digital output).
The next stage would be for it to recieve status's from the basic stamp (such as heating on, or the current analogue temperature of the house or the status of a light) for true feedback.
While I realise that this is not a true basic stamp programming issue, I am asking the community whether anyone has linked a locally hosted html page to a basic stamp, or even better if someone has managed to link to microsoft media centre 2005
Thanks in advance
Jon

Comments

• rtowlerrtowler Posts: 29
    edited 2006-03-14 17:34
    You'll need to use a scripting language to do this.

I'll take a guess here that WMC uses IIS as the server running ASP (MS's scripting language). I really have no idea. But if it is running ASP then maybe this will be of some help:

http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/support/sw_tricks/ASP2WW.htm

Maybe WMC doesn't have any scripting language installed. In that case you would be free to choose a scripting language. I'm more familiar with PHP. It's free, well documented and there are binaries for IIS. A quick search yields:

http://www.phparch.com/discuss/index.php/m/2980/0/

Then there is always PERL, but I have never investigated PERL for IIS.