Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Object Exchange - Submit Spin/ASM Objects here! — Parallax Forums

Propeller Object Exchange - Submit Spin/ASM Objects here!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2007-01-26 02:48 in Propeller 1
Dear Propeller users,

The key to using a Propeller and having fun is the availability of Objects. Objects provide structure and code reusability. They can be created by one developer and shared with others for use in their projects with or without modification. An Object consists of Spin code and, optionally, Propeller Assembly code. If you’ve got the right objects, using Propeller is a matter of high-level integration. We invite you to share your Objects in our new Propeller Object Exchange.

Everybody can access the Propeller Object Exchange. You can find it at http://www.parallax.com/propeller (starting Friday, March 10th, 2006).

The Propeller Object Exchange will eventually become a user-managed, database-driven area where you can upload and download your objects. In time, this tool would allow searching and sorting (by name, developer’s name, keywords, ease of use, user rating, category, etc.). To get started, the process will be manual but shall evolve quickly.

To submit your Propeller Objects please follow these steps:
  1. Create an archive of the Propeller Spin/ASM files. An archive includes all Propeller objects and demo code, as appropriate. To make an archive from within the Propeller Editor / Development System, do the following:
    (a) Compile your code using F9 or Run / Compile Current / Update Status. This will verify that all of your Spin/ASM files used in the Object compiled properly. Use File -> Archive -> Project to create the archive file.
    (b) The Propeller Editor / Development System will create a zipped archive and put it in your working directory. It will have a long name, like Display - Archive· [noparse][[/noparse]Date 2006.03.07· Time 21.40] which is descriptive of the archive you just created. A _READ_ME.txt file in the archive details the archive contents.
  2. Create an e-mail to Parallax to kgracey@parallax.com. Include the following in the body of your e-mail:
    (a) Object code archive zip file attachment, as described above.
    (b) Description. One or two sentences describing the Object.··
    (c) Date and version number. Use 1.0 to begin your first public release version number.
    (d) Category identification. Categories may include protocols (serial, I2C, 1-Wire), sensors (identify sensor name or type), interfaces (keyboard, mouse, NTSC, HD44780 LCD, etc.), A/D (using A/D converters, RCTime, etc.). Categories are limitless, so please be specific in your identification.
    (e) Author name and e-mail. Anonymous is also an option.
    (f) Identify whether your submittal is a first-time submittal, or if it supplements/replaces an existing archive you’ve already posted.·····
    (g) You will be notified by the Parallax web team when you can view your archive on our web site.
These are the rules you abide by to submit your objects to our library:
  1. Files have no copyright. Other Propeller users will modify and use your objects for their projects. This is an open exchange among users. You warrant that your Object doesn't use copyrights owned by others, too.··
  2. No financial payment from Parallax. Submitter agrees that they will receive no financial compensatio from Parallax.··
  3. Parallax won’t test your objects. As the Propeller Object Exchange develops, perhaps user ratings will identify their value to the Propeller community. Objects produced by Parallax staff will be noted with our developer’s name and e-mail address. The first objects you will see from Parallax include a mouse, keyboard, video, seven-segment LED, a serial UART for debugging, and RCTime. These objects could be an example for your own submittals in terms of content, style and use.
This forum post shall be revised as our process evolves.

We realize that at the time of this posting only 30 people have Propeller hardware. We’re working to make the Propeller Starter Kit available as soon as possible – it’s mostly a matter of demo board production, a printed manual and some IDE improvements.

Your input on the Propeller Object Exchange is welcome, too. This is your system.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 3/8/2006 9:13:49 PM GMT

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-03-27 15:50
    Hello,

Several objects have now been posted at http://www.parallax.com/propeller. Three more objects will be posted today (a coil demo sensor, frequency synthesizer and a 32-servo controller).

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-03-28 08:52
    Ken,

The link to the new objects doesn't work! HTTP 404. The link is to:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PCDebugBlinkLED.zip

James
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2006-03-29 03:55
    James,

I'll forward this over to the web development team for a quick fix. Thanks for spotting the problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2006-05-07 22:37
    All,

I've posted (in a seperate thread) a SPIN i2c object library and 3 device library examples.

Its here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=585972

Cheers,

James
  • Lauren DavisLauren Davis Posts: 313
    edited 2006-06-05 21:33
    Dear Propeller users,

You can now submit an object to the Propeller Object Exchange directly online. To do this, please follow the steps listed below.

1)· Visit the Propeller Home Page on the Parallax website at: http://www.parallax.com/propeller/·and click on the Object Exchange link.
    2)· Register if you are a new user. Login if you have previously registered.
    3)· Upload your object.

Sincerely,
    Lauren

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·
    Lauren Bares
    Marketing Manager
    Parallax Inc.
    916-624-8333
    lbares@parallax.com
    ·

Post Edited (Lauren Bares (Parallax)) : 6/5/2006 9:39:53 PM GMT
  • EdKirkEdKirk Posts: 27
    edited 2006-11-06 20:35
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to use the BS2 debugger submitted by Martin Hebel.

I have downloaded his software and installed it in my Prop Stick. It is running on Com1 serial port.· I have also downloaded the Basic Stamp II software and used it to successfully test the debug feature on a BS2 SX Stamp kit.

I then moved the serial cable back to the Prop Stick.· Now the Stamp software reports that there is no stamp and the Propeller software reports that there is no Prop chip.

I need detailed instruction on how to use this combination of hardware/software, hopefully conveniently.

Thank you,

Ed
    edited 2006-11-06 20:47
    Ed,

The basic stamp software is not used to detect/program the Propeller. Its purely a serial reciever.

When you use Martins debugger, program the propeller with a program containing debug commands from his object and load to EEPROM (F11).

Then run the stamp program and press CTRL-D to open a new debug, set the port and the baud (speed) to the same as you've programmed on the propeller and walla!

James
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-11-28 01:46
    I just uploaded the wrong update to my HB-25 object and was wondering who I would contact to get the correct file into the mix.

thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Technosaurus-RixTechnosaurus-Rix Posts: 2
    edited 2006-12-08 02:31
    Does anyone have, or could point me in the right direction, for a Mouse driver for the Demo Board. The driver with the Graphics object seems to use 4 pins instead of the Demo Boards 2.
    Ric

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Ric
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-08 23:59
    Ric,
    ·Try this link for a wiring schematic

Brian

(you should ask questions in the main propeller forum)

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PropDemoDschem.pdf

Post Edited (truckwiz) : 12/9/2006 1:45:31 AM GMT
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2007-01-25 17:46
    The version of BS2_FUNCTIONS in the object exchange is 1.1. Somewhere there is a version 1.3.2. I set up a new computer to for Propeller work and got the the old version from the object exchange. Much time wasted. Also BS2_FUNCTIONS probably should be distributed with the IDE.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-25 19:45
    I went looking for v1.3.2 and couldn't find it anywhere, if you can find it, I'll try to get it in the right place.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-01-25 20:12
    I'll take the heat on this John, BS2_Functions was posted before the exchange was fully operational, and I didn't jump through the hoops I needed to for the update.· Paul, if you can't locate it on here, I'll repost tonight when I'm home.

Sincerest apologies,
    Martin
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-25 20:22
    No problem, if you can, update the object in the object exchange by editing the existing entry and including the zip to the old version into the new version's zip. We can do that on this end, but it involves the IT manager manually doing it so theres a significant delay in getting it accomplished (he's a busy man).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-25 20:54
    Ok Paul, I'm just not sure the posted version is registered under my name or not since the user name was only created recently.
    I'll see how it goes. If all else fails, I'll post the new and he can simply delete the old.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
    edited 2007-01-26 02:48
    The updated version of BS2_Functions has been sent to the object exchange ( 1.3.5 - corrected a glitch when 1st sending serial data using debug's)

I'm not sure why you wanted it packaged with the IDE John? I haven't seen any problems with it in version 1.0?

** Correction, I was thinking you wanted it archived with the IDE, not as part of the Prop Tool installer ***

Here it is until it gets posted to the object exchange.

Paul, you'll have to have your admin delete the old, I don't have access.

-Martin

Post Edited (Martin Hebel) : 1/26/2007 2:53:18 AM GMT