Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2sx control of radio controlled aircraft — Parallax Forums

BS2sx control of radio controlled aircraft

Rick OuelletteRick Ouellette Posts: 4
edited 2006-03-15 04:21 in BASIC Stamp
I want to feed the output of an r/c receiver to a basic stamp and then to a servo controller or directly to the servos, whatever is necessary. The basic stamp will act as a missing pulse detector and upon loss of the incoming servo signal the stamp will run a subroutine and will control the servos until the radio signal is reacquired. I only have to feed two channels of the receiver to the stamp and am presently using an r/c truck as a test bed. The two channels control the ESC (electronic speed control) and the steering servo. The plane is flying and has a video camera and transmitter. I have flown it out of visual range unintentionally and will eventually interface a gps so it will return to it's point of departure if something goes wrong but one step at a time. I would appreciate any help I could get and after reading the posts on the forum I am amazed at the knowledge the members have.
Thank You
Rick

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-07 07:28
    First of all, it is doable. If you search a few years back, you will find a lot of R/C input and then output has been coded for the BasicStamp.

I am trying to do something similar in an SX-28. Look at the 3rd Prize winner in the 2005 SX Contest.

The missing pulse detector is something tha Jen Altenberg used in his Semi-Autonomous flight controller. He mixes the two inputs and actually detects horizon and control for a landing approach. You might also be able to automate a forced landing and beacon where your plane is with the GPS info.

If you want to move up to an SX-28, you might more easily add the GPS interface. I haven't finished, but I have been looking at moving Jen's code over from ByteCraft C to SASM.

These guys amaze me too -- a lot of fun loving experts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-03-07 12:46
    Rick,

Kramer is right, it is doable, plus will be a really neat project!

The catamaran project I did last year has many of the same features you'll be using. I used a BS2 to listen to a 5 + 1 r/c receiver to control speed of two motors, direction, plus two winches and a sampler. To detect loss of signal, I kept checking to see what the PULSIN value was. If it was less than the radio's minimun pulse width, or larger than the the maximum, it triggered a recovery loop. A second BS2sx did all the data logging and sent data back to the land-based laptop via a data radio.

I really like the idea of the plane being able to find its way home. It would be reasonably straight forward, as long as you remembered to give the stamp the "home" coordinates before taking off!

Tom
  • Rick OuelletteRick Ouellette Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-08 21:35
    Thank you for the help Kramer and Tom! I researched the old posts on the forum like you said and found exactly what I was looking for. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to as soon as I finish this reply!
    Thanks again,
    Rick Ouellette
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-03-09 00:46
    for the GPS system part, I'm not sure, but I think that any flying craft that can navigate its self is a missle, and i think you need a permit for that. But don't go by me just make sure.
    edited 2006-03-14 06:32
    This is the program I came up with to control the truck. It backs the truck up if I get out of range. The code snippet that counts the number of reverses works but sometimes the program ends by itself even if the back routine isn't run. That's why I have it annotated.
    1- Is there a more efficient way to write this code?
    2- Any ideas why the program with the reverse counter crashes?
    3- Would a parallax servo controller simplify things---- for example I wouldn't have to write a pause routine by pulsing the servos . in the neutral position. ( I have the servo controller but I haven't tried it yet.)
    4- Is there a way to remember the position the steering servo was in when the signal is lost ? If the truck was in a turn when the . . signal was lost I could set the wheels to that position so the truck would retrace it's path.

I noticed if the servos weren't being pulsed for example during a long pause, there were a lot of glitches with the servos jumping all over the place. I tried pulling the output pins low with resistors tied to vss but that didn't work.

Will someone please give me some ideas?
    Rick Ouellette

' {$STAMP BS2sx}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    ' This program uses a STAMP BS2sx to take control of an R/C truck upon loss
    ' of R/C signal and back the truck up two times to reacquire the signal. If the
    ' signal is not reacquired after the second reverse, the truck is shut down.

ch1 VAR Word ' electronic speed control channel
    ch2 VAR Word ' steering channel
    cycle VAR Word ' reverse counter
    delay VAR Word ' delay counter
    event VAR Nib ' "back" routine counter

main:
    PULSIN 12, 1, ch1 ' input speed control pulse from receiver
    PULSOUT 14, ch1 ' output speed control pulse to electronic speed control
    PULSIN 13, 1, ch2 ' input steering pulse from receiver
    PULSOUT 15, ch2 ' output steering pulse to steering servo
    IF ch1 < 1000 THEN ' check for loss of signal
    GOSUB back ' if no signal goto "go backwards" routine
    ENDIF
    GOTO main ' no loss of signal, start over

back: ' "go backwards routine"
    'event = event + 1 ' count the number of reverses
    'IF event > 2 THEN ' if the number of reverses is
    'END ' greater than two, shut truck down
    'ENDIF

FOR cycle = 1 TO 80
    PULSOUT 14,(1840 - cycle) ' ramp up speed control in reverse direction
    PAUSE 20 ' wait 20 milliseconds
    PULSOUT 15, 1853 ' keep wheels centered
    NEXT ' loop

PULSIN 12, 1, ch1 ' check for signal acquisition
    FOR delay = 1 TO 90 ' hold servo positions 5 seconds
    PULSOUT 14, 1853 ' neutral speed control
    PULSOUT 15, 1853 ' steering straight ahead
    NEXT ' loop

PULSIN 12, 1, ch1 ' check to see if signal is reacquired
    IF ch1 < 1000 THEN back ' no signal, back up again

RETURN ' signal reacquired return R/C control
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-14 08:16
    Rick -

See what the following does. Most of the name changes were just to help me keep track of the channel functions. I switched over to using the PIN function only because I think it's so sweet. WARNING: This was written PRE-coffee!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

' {$STAMP BS2sx}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    ' This program uses a STAMP BS2sx to take control of an R/C truck upon loss
    ' of R/C signal and back the truck up two times to reacquire the signal. If the
    ' signal is not reacquired after the second reverse, the truck is shut down.

'Define Variables and Constants
    ESC_ch1 VAR Word······ ' electronic speed control channel
    STEER_ch2 VAR Word······ ' steering channel
    cycle VAR Word···· ' reverse counter
    delay VAR Word···· ' delay counter
    event VAR Nib····· ' "back" routine counter

'Define I/O Pin Ports
    ESCin··· PIN 12
    ESCout·· PIN 14
    STEERin· PIN 13
    STEERout PIN 15

event = 0· 'Initialize event counter

main:
    'Read ESC input and send to ESC
    PULSIN· ESCin, 1, ESC_ch1·· ' input speed control pulse from receiver
    PULSOUT ESCout, ESC_ch1···· ' output speed control pulse to ESC

'Read STEERing input and send to STEERing servo
    PULSIN· STEERin, 1, STEER_ch2· ' input steering pulse from receiver
    PULSOUT STEERout, STEER_ch2·· ' output steering pulse to steering servo

'Check for loss of input signal
    IF ESC_ch1 < 1000 THEN·· ' check for loss of signal
    GOSUB back·············· ' if no signal goto "go backwards" routine
    ENDIF
    GOTO main··············· ' no loss of signal, or signal restored, start over

back:··················· ' "go backwards routine"
    'event = event + 1······ ' count the number of reverses
    'IF event > 2 THEN······ ' if the number of reverses is
    'GOTO quit·············· ' greater than two, shut truck down
    'ENDIF
    GOSUB Backup
    RETURN

'Exit if unsuccesssful
    quit:
    DEBUG "NO JOY!"········· 'Show no success
    END····················· 'End program

'Attempt to manually drive in reverse to find signal
    Backup:
    FOR cycle = 1 TO 80
    PULSOUT ESCout,(1840 - cycle)· ' ramp up speed control in reverse direction
    'PAUSE 20····················· ' wait 20 milliseconds
    PULSOUT STEERout, 1853········ ' keep wheels centered
    PAUSE 20······················ ' wait 20 milliseconds
    NEXT·························· ' loop

PULSIN ESCin, 1, ESC_ch1······ ' check for signal acquisition
    FOR delay = 1 TO 90··········· ' hold servo positions 5 seconds
    PULSOUT ESCout, 1853·········· ' neutral speed control
    'PAUSE 20····················· ' wait 20 milliseconds
    PULSOUT STEERout, 1853········ ' steering straight ahead
    PAUSE 20······················ ' wait 20 milliseconds
    NEXT·························· ' loop

PULSIN ESCin, 1, ESC_ch1······ ' check to see if signal is re-acquired
    IF ESC_ch1 < 1000 THEN Backup2 ' If no signal, check whether to back up again
    RETURN························ ' signal reacquired return R/C control

'Have we gone through twice? (even though we KNOW we have above)
    Backup2:
    event = event +· 1
    IF event > 2 THEN············· ' if the number of reverses is
    GOTO quit····················· ' greater than two, shut truck down
    ENDIF
    GOTO Backup······················ 'One more time

END

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-03-15 04:21
    Hi Bruce!
    Thanks for the help. Both programs function the same.......including crashing at random times. The truck can be rolling back and forth controlled by the transmitter and it will just stop or sometimes I shut the transmitter off to simulate loss of signal and the stamp takes over and backs the truck up and then everything stops after the first backup. One thing I noticed is after I load the program, either yours or mine, shut the power off to disconnect the truck from my laptop and turn the truck back on again is that the truck starts in the backup mode as soon as the power comes on. (The transmitter is turned on before I turn the truck on.) The only assumption I can make is that the stamp starts running it's program before the R/C receiver can output a pulse. If the program running the truck crashes I can reset it with no harm done but if the stamp is in the airplane, it's intended purpose, and the program crashes so will the airplane with the video gear and this is not acceptable. I have to resolve this problem. Any more ideas??? I tried putting the end command in a subroutine at the very end of the program but it didn't matter.

Rick Ouellette

ps. When I submitted the code to the forum it was nice and neat with all the annotations lined up and now everything is crowded together . Why is that?