Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controller for rocket, — Parallax Forums

Controller for rocket,

saliksalik Posts: 9
edited 2006-03-07 15:21 in BASIC Stamp
I want to use a stamp as a timer in a rocket to set off servos and what not.

what stamp should I use?
in the future i may also hook up a pressure sensor and use that as an altimeter, so i also need ADC capabilities

Comments

• saliksalik Posts: 9
    edited 2006-03-07 03:09
    I'm thinking about using this one:
    BASIC Stamp 1 Project Board

i'm aware that i will need a separate ADC chip to hook up analog sensors.
    all i need it to do is count to 5.4 seconds and set the servo to a certain value, then count for 4-5 seconds and set it to another value... can I do this using just the stamp? will it be able to relay enough power for a servo?

Post Edited (salik) : 3/7/2006 3:13:59 AM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-07 03:26
    Is this a rocket or a guided missile?.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • saliksalik Posts: 9
    edited 2006-03-07 03:57
    lol... no its for the team america rocketry challenge... the challenge is to put an egg up to 800 ft and back in as close to 45 seconds as possible...

our goal is to get it up to 800 ft using a timer, measure the terminal velocity of the rocket w/ parachute , measure flight time and eject parachute at an optimum time!
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-03-07 07:30
    The BS1 isn't powering the servo directly. It just delivers the control-signals.
    There are three leads on the servo, GND and Vcc which can be connected to the battery you power the BS1 with, and a Signal lead which connects to a pin on your BS1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-07 15:21
    Crazy glue the egg and then put 20 coats of 'clear-coat' on it....fire the rocket up to 800ft and then 'push it over' and fly in to the ground. Should only take 8seconds total!

I'm assuming you want things to be light light light!!!! So just be wary of the servo's....I don't know how much force you need to move ailerons when moving at mach 0.5 (or however fast you're going) but too big and they'll slow ya down!

Sounds fun though!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."