Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot with MatTracks — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot with MatTracks

Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
edited 2006-09-11 17:23 in Robotics
I didn't want to HiJack the Tank Treads thread so I thought I'd post this to a new thread.

Here's a new take on the Tank Tread theme. This one uses MatTracks, which are self contained tank treads.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40690

More pictures and video clips here:

http://www.roboware.org/Gallery/v/robots/boemat/?

Kenny
544 x 408 - 41K

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-03-03 22:17
    Where did you get the mini-mattracks?

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2006-03-04 00:22
    they look cool and rugged but extremly expensive....
    didn't see any shots of it turning though... [noparse]:([/noparse]
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-04 10:04
    Envy. LOts of envy..... Tell us where. Please??????

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • ZaxZax Posts: 48
    edited 2006-03-04 15:25
    Hey Kenny,
    I spent some time on the mattrack sight link you posted on your web page, but could not find a link for the small set you have how much????? and where????? post us a link,
    Don't tease us ken!!!! LOL
    ZAX
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2006-03-04 18:40
    Hi guys.

The MatTracks are from a Radio Shack RC Hummer (60-4358). It cost $100 but you get 4 sets of MatTracks and you also get 4 regular wheels so you can still use the car if you are into RC vehicles. I waited until after Christmas to buy it because they always deep discount their RC·cars after Christmas, but they won't put this dang thing on sale! So I just broke down and paid full price for it. I suppose you could just sell the Hummer with the regular wheels on eBay and recoup some of the money spent.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2131012&cp=2032062.2032402.2032406&parentPage=family

I looked all over the MatTracks site but I guess RS has an exclusive on the "toy size".

These things are actually too powerful for the BOE-Bot. There's no stopping it!

Kenny
    edited 2006-03-04 18:46
    If you do put a set of these on a BOE-Bot, you have to lower the rear ball so it will reach the floor. I made a set of brackets to do this.

The BOE-Bot will move without the rear·ball but it is needed to keep it from tipping over when it goes over objects. If it hits the wall, forget it. It's going up the wall and upside down no matter what you do! smile.gif

Kenny
  • ZaxZax Posts: 48
    edited 2006-03-06 23:24
    Hey Ken, how does it turn????
    Think you could post a video, of it turning??
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-06 23:33
    Kenny Gardner said...

The BOE-Bot will move without the rear ball but it is needed to keep it from tipping over when it goes over objects. If it hits the wall, forget it. It's going up the wall and upside down no matter what you do! smile.gif

Kenny
    Sounds like a good application for an accelerometer used as a tilt sensor [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Yes Paul, when Dave and I watched the video we were thinking this very thing...

Ryan

Post Edited By Moderator (Ryan Clarke (Parallax)) : 3/7/2006 6:15:46 PM GMT
    edited 2006-03-07 20:55
    I'll hook up a Keychain Transmitter/Receiver to it and take some videos of it turning.

Kenny
    ·
  • Washer MedicWasher Medic Posts: 39
    edited 2006-03-12 03:29
    Hi Kenny
    How about some details on how you hooked the MatTracks to the servos
    Brian

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There's nothing a good wack with a hammer won't fix

Darn I let the white smoke out again
  • bottomgunbottomgun Posts: 26
    edited 2006-03-12 03:40
    Just scored a Hummer with Mattracks on eBay for $21.00. So that gives me tracks for two Bots and a Hummer on wheels that can be converted to semi-autonomous operation. Now just have to wait for delivery!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2006-03-12 20:00
    Was at a RS store yesterday and saw that they had their Hummers on sale for $69.

Post Edited (Russ) : 3/12/2006 8:07:25 PM GMT
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-03-16 14:01
    Hi,

How did you attach these tracks to the bot?·I couldn't really tell from any of the photos. Surely they need more support than just the servo shaft.

Anyway, I will find out soon enough, I scored one on Ebay for $30 and reasonable shipping. I should get it next week. I also saw on Ebay some kind of R/C pickup truck that came with the Mattracks. I'm pretty sure it was a Radio Shack model, so the hummer is not the only potential source.

·- Rick
    edited 2006-03-16 20:39
    See the two larger screws on the front? They are holding a makeshift bracket that is screwed to the BOE-Bot chassis. The Vex metal pieces, especially the 1x1 strips really come in handy smilewinkgrin.gif

I'll try and take some pictures today and post them.

Kenny
    edited 2006-03-16 22:16
    Here's a pic of my mounting method. It will be interesting too see the methods others come up with.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40874

More detailed pics here:

http://www.roboware.org/Gallery/v/robots/boemat/

Kenny
    544 x 408 - 44K
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-03-17 01:38
    Great pictures, thanks. It doesn't look like they will be too difficult to adapt.

These treads look so much more robot-like than the Tamiya treads, kind of reminds me of Johnny No.5 in Short Circuit [noparse]:)[/noparse]

- Rick
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2006-03-17 18:43
    Kenny Gardner said...
    See the two larger screws on the front? They are holding a makeshift bracket that is screwed to the BOE-Bot chassis. The Vex metal pieces, especially the 1x1 strips really come in handy smilewinkgrin.gif

I'll try and take some pictures today and post them.

Kenny

My question is a little off topic, wink.gif
    but I was wondering what people think is the best/cheapest way
    to make additional brackets/structures on the BOE-bot: confused.gif

- Erector/Meccano,
    - Vex,
    - Plastruc,
    - Home-made,
    - etc.

Also, what are the BOE-Bot's whiskers made of? confused.gif
    I bought some brass and aluminum rods at the hardware store,
    but they deform to easily (and they are too thick).

Thanks!
    smile.gif

Post Edited (mprobo) : 3/17/2006 7:06:54 PM GMT
  • Jeff DegeJeff Dege Posts: 85
    edited 2006-03-17 19:17
    I always use FischerTechnik, because it's cheapest - for me.

(I.e., it's not cheap, but I've already got a load of it, so it's sunk cost.)
    edited 2006-03-17 20:51
    Rick,

If you want to free up the hub so that you can mount a servo to it, you are going to have to cut it out of the housing. I used a Scroll Saw (you can see the saw cuts in the pictures).

Kenny
    edited 2006-03-17 20:59
    You can use really stiff Piano Wire to make whiskers out of. Also, K&S Engineering makes steel rod that you can buy at some hardware stores, as well as Hobby Stores and online at Tower Hobbies.

I like the Vex metal for making brackets out of. It is really easy to work with and can be cut easier than you might imagine. The 1x25 bar is especially handy:

http://www.vexlabs.com/vex-robotics-mechanical-parts.shtml

down towards the bottom of the page.

Kenny
  • linuxgeeklinuxgeek Posts: 45
    edited 2006-09-01 21:34
    Ryan Clarke said...
    Where did you get the mini-mattracks?

Ryan

I just got a heck of a deal - two of the Radio Shack Hummers with the Mattracks and two of the rechargable batteries for the price of a single Hummer. [noparse]:D[/noparse] Add it up. smile.gif One of the Hummers is probably non-working, but I kinew that would be the case and took it for the parts and mattracks. [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I can handle complexity.. It's the SIMPLE things that confound me.
    The Dynaplex Network
    http://www.thedynaplex.org
  • bbnoobiebbnoobie Posts: 7
    edited 2006-09-02 21:31
    anybody has spare ones that they dont need? icant find them on ebay for cheap at the time
  • ktekxktekx Posts: 71
    edited 2006-09-11 17:23
    This might be good news to you guys. On an RC car forum, I read some guys have been able to buy these tracks alone by special order from Radio Shack. They were about $9 a track and $4.99 for shipping. The guy's order for 4 track set and shipping came out to be about $40