Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp

argmafiaargmafia Posts: 30
edited 2006-03-06 23:23 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a Basic Stamp out there that has more I/O ports than the BS2e, but uses the same programming language.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-03-03 20:27
    Yes, the BS2p40 has 32 I/O pins, here is a link for more information:·http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS2P40-IC

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-04 03:41
    And you can gain more I/O pins use just 2 or 3 of the Stamp I/O pins using any number of chips such as I2C I/O expanders or SPI shift registers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 3/4/2006 3:48:21 AM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-04 03:46
    Chris, you might want to correct your spelling on those SPI registers - I'm pretty sure they just shift electrons tongue.gif
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-04 03:48
    Forrest,

·· Nice catch...Thanks for the save...It's been a Looooong day....TGIF!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • argmafiaargmafia Posts: 30
    edited 2006-03-06 16:05
    I currently have the BS2e which has 16 +2 Dedicated Serial, I need 17 I/0 pins (I am missing one input port), Can I use the serial pin as an input? If so, do i treat it the same as the other pins? Thanx!!!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-06 17:21
    I don't think I've heard anyone trying anything but serial 'tasks' with the programming port.
    Certainly the 'loop-back' and 'echo' hardware on that particular line would cause you grief, but if you are indeed using it for serial data, there would be no problem using.

About the only headache becomes debugging problems with your setup when you're using the programming/debug port as an input.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-06 23:23
    argmafia -

The direct answer to your question is yes you can, with the caveats already mentioned. However, you would probably be doing yourself a BIG favor to reduce the number of pin ports you're presently using, either by having some of them do "double duty", or by using a parallel-in serial-out shift register as an ancillary port.

There are also other "port extender" chips available that are made just for this purpose. The ones that are often being suggested of late are the MicroChip Serial Peripheral chips found at the link below:
    http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=11034&mid=11&lang=en&pageId=79

A search of this Stamp Forum for (say) "MCP23016" will lead you to some sample PBASIC programs for implementing it. Once implemented, the MCP23016 affords you 16 additional pin ports for less than $5.00 US!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->