Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB vs. Serial | BS1 vs. BS2 : downloading Time. I Dont Understand!! — Parallax Forums

USB vs. Serial | BS1 vs. BS2 : downloading Time. I Dont Understand!!

Grant_OGrant_O Posts: 36
edited 2006-03-03 04:25 in BASIC Stamp
Comparing the download time of a program I wrote with my BS1 to RS232 link against my BS2 to USB (homework board) link the USB wins by a long shot! And yes USB is much faster then RS232, that’s easy to understand, but threes something I don’t get. When I installed the parallax USB drivers on my computer it classified the plug and play device as a USB to Serial converter. Okay so now it’s going from a high speed USB link down to a simulated (and much slower) serial link. Right?·Why doesn’t it have the same slow download time??? Is it the stamps? I doubt it but I don’t understand, I thought these stamps had fixed baud rates.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-03 04:02
    Grant,

·· You're comparing Apples to Oranges...The BS1 has a slower Serial Baud Rate...4800 bps.··The BS2 programs at 9600 bps.· And yes, although the connection is USB, the fact remains that the BASIC Stamp Module expects serial data, so it arrives at the same 9600 bps as before.· The software also expects a serial port, that's why on the USB Board you see a COM Port number for your download instead of USB Device ID.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Grant_OGrant_O Posts: 36
    edited 2006-03-03 04:18
    Ok, so it is BS1 vs. BS2 and not the link. Kind of a bad question now that I think about it but for some reason I thought they all transferred data at the same baud.

Thanks
  • Grant_OGrant_O Posts: 36
    edited 2006-03-03 04:24
    I do have one more question kinda in subject but i should really start a new post for it.

When you hit the download button and the application sends the data out the serial port, what does the data look like???? is it printable ASCII characters??
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-03 04:25
    Grant,

·· Not really...You can find out what information is sent by reading the following information.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/tokenizer/tokenizer.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com