Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Generic Menu Code — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Generic Menu Code

argmafiaargmafia Posts: 30
edited 2006-03-04 03:21 in BASIC Stamp
I was wondering if anyone could help me write a generic Menu code for the Basic Stamp 2.· I have an LCD and keypad and I want the Basic Stamp to display questions on my LCD and then let me answer it with the keypad and have the values that are chosen be stored to be used later on in the program.· So for example I need the basic stamp to ask:· How many pills do you want, and if I answer 2, I want the code to save that number for later use.· Then ask a second question: How often do you want it? And say I answer 4, and save the response to that question also.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-03 03:49
    Hello,

·· The following article may offer some insight into this.· It's a Nuts & Volts article entitled, "Menu Driven User Interface".

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol2/col/nv62.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • argmafiaargmafia Posts: 30
    edited 2006-03-03 13:22
    Is there something else you have that uses a serial LCD???
    edited 2006-03-03 15:12
    Not currently, but there's no reason you can't substitute the sections of code specific to the LCD with ones for a Serial LCD.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • argmafiaargmafia Posts: 30
    edited 2006-03-03 19:42
    Is there some way to do a menu like that without using that chip. We have a keypad an LCD and no more open I/O ports. Can we still do a menu. It doesn't have to be complex. We want the menu to ask three questions. All three will have numeric answers that will be stored to run a stepper motor.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-03-03 22:30
    A serial LCD requires only one I/O pin, +5V, and GND.··The '595 in the doc ref'd (nv62) isn't required.· So, you just make a subroutine that formats the display with your Menu Options.
    edited 2006-03-04 03:21
    The inforation provided was for reference.· You still need to write your own routines and use the provide examples as a source of ideas.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com