Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
i need accelerometer help — Parallax Forums

i need accelerometer help

jackjayjackjay Posts: 1
edited 2006-03-07 18:09 in Robotics
I have a project to build a black box style data logger for a car. I am looking at using an accelerometer to measure its speed and another for impact detection. I'm fairly new to all this, and want to know where I can get a couple of accelerometers from that will be able to do this without too much complication and that are fairly cheap. Any help greatly received....

Comments

• Danny22Danny22 Posts: 29
    edited 2006-03-03 20:06
    The Memsic 2125 Accelerometer available from Parallax #28017 should do the trick. Easy interface and code for the BS2.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-03 21:05
    Keep in mind the Memsic has a farily-low g-rating, so while it can detect an impact for you, you probably won't get the actual g-load ... unless it is a very small impact.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-07 15:49
    The Memsic is rated at 2g, the new Hitachi that Parallax is selling is rated at 3g, and there are other Memsic's rated at 10g.

The Hitachi is 3 axis. So I suppose it might more accurately identify an impact.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-03-07 18:09
    Kramer said...
    The Memsic is rated at 2g, the new Hitachi that Parallax is selling is rated at 3g, and there are other Memsic's rated at 10g.

The Hitachi is 3 axis. So I suppose it might more accurately identify an impact.

Watch for a 10g version of the Memsic soon.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com