Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK and Mac OS X — Parallax Forums

PINK and Mac OS X

Joe MJoe M Posts: 45
edited 2006-03-14 22:02 in BASIC Stamp
Anyone managed to do the initial configure of the PINK on a Mac?

Thanks,
-Joe

Comments

• mbmoshermbmosher Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-01 04:27
    Wow, I was just going to ask the same question, or if the software was available for mac somewhere out there.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-01 13:18
    I'm a new MAC user as well...but haven't migrated my stamp gear over just yet. But am interested in much the same!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2006-03-01 18:35
    It is easy if you have a DHCP connection, because the default configuration for PINK out of the box is DHCP. The router will assign PINK an address on your LAN, and once you find out what that is, you can get right into the PINK configuration utility /nb_factory.htm. You don't really need to use the utilities provided for the PC.

A word to the wise: If you give it a password, don't forget it!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Joe MJoe M Posts: 45
    edited 2006-03-02 06:31
    You are right DHCP is the answer. Which I tried... But I had foolishly followed the picture in the pdf and hooked up the power to vdd/vss on the bs2. When I saw the post here in the forum about the pink needing its own power supply I got it going...

Thanks!
    -Joe

Post Edited (Joe M) : 3/2/2006 6:35:52 AM GMT
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-03-03 17:05
    The PDF does not show the PINK connected to Vdd or Vss on the stamp. The picture even shows the connections to a BOE (not the stamp)-

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Joe MJoe M Posts: 45
    edited 2006-03-03 18:28
    You are correct, I was using the wrong term. I used the VSS and VDD on the homework board, but that did not work.

But the PDF still does not show the power requirements for the PINK, do you know what they are?

Thanks,

-Joe
  • mbmoshermbmosher Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-14 20:32
    Hi, I'm using mac osx and the pink on the school dhcp network here, but how do I find out what ip address the network assigned the pink module? Thanks!

(I tried running the software on virtual pc, but it found nothing. My computer's connected wirelessly, would that be a problem?)
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2006-03-14 22:02
    If you have a Stamp attached to PINK, one thing that might work is to have PINK send you an email. Then ferret out PINK's address from the email long headers, something like:

>> Received: from [noparse][[/noparse]192.168.0.102] (adsl-64-170-154-159.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net [noparse][[/noparse]64.170.154.159]) by

That shows that the email originated from 192.168.0.102, which is the DHCP assigned address. You can find the IP address of your Mac on the network by going to Network Preferences/ TCP/IP. That will give you an clue of the addresses used by your network.

I'm not sure if that works all the time, and someone else may chime in with an easier way. DHCP addresses will change from time to time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com