Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Controller — Parallax Forums

Servo Controller

jsmasterkingjsmasterking Posts: 35
edited 2006-03-02 17:39 in Robotics
I want to know what is the best servo controller for something like a bi-pedal walker.

I like the parallax one because its made for the Board of Education and it ramping feature. But I also saw this: http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=395&CategoryID=52. It has supporting software that will be so helpful and it control twice the servos that the parallax one can control. It also cost a little less.

Any one used the SSC-32 Servo Controller before? Anyone see any CONs for it compared to Parallax's servo controller? Parallax's has 180 degrees of freedom and this one has 170 but that's not much of a difference.

I know with the SSC-32 you can make complex robot movements with out calculation ramping or each single step. It also have the software to save movements into the controller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·on····· plane··········································, when catching ducks

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
··············································································^
http://profiles.yahoo.com/jsmasterking

Post Edited (jsmasterking) : 6/21/2006 12:44:28 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-01 01:36
    CON: You won't be able to get support for that other servo controller here! tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-03-01 03:53
    Unless you are very advanced and can take advantage of its more complex features, you will probably have an easier time with the PSC. Lynxmotion does not offer the best tech support (just look at their forums, www.lynxmotion.net and you can see how slowly their forums move). In comparison, just search "PSC" on these forums and lots of posts will turn up instantly. Not to mention the support you can get from people like ^ ^.

Also, don't be fooled by the price...they charge quite a lot on shipping (If I remember correctly, it's around $10 or so).
  • jsmasterkingjsmasterking Posts: 35
    edited 2006-03-02 01:26
    How easy is it to use the PSC for a robot like a walker that needs simultaneous control of like 9 servos? I mean like, do I need to do a lot of calculations to get all the timing right on the PSC. I am using·one BS2 (2 max) for this project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·on····· plane··········································, when catching ducks

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
    ··············································································^
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/jsmasterking

Post Edited (jsmasterking) : 6/21/2006 12:44:27 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-02 17:39
    The PSC was designed for that purpose (has 16 servo ports); in fact, the ramp feature helps create walking gates without a lot of stress on the programmer to calculate intermediate positions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax