Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interesting LCD serializer — Parallax Forums

Interesting LCD serializer

linocklinock Posts: 31
edited 2006-02-26 17:08 in BASIC Stamp
While i was searching informations on the net for something else (adapting a graphic lcd), i found this homepage which is interesting for converting in a simple way a parallel lcd to a serial.
The scheme provided on this link can be simplified at extreme.

www.mindspring.com/~tcoonan/lcd.html

In the asm code provided and as the code sets as default 2400 Bauds and 1 line lcd, it's possible to simply toggle the bits to allow it working on 9600 Bauds with 2 lines lcd by default.
This helps eliminate the required resistors used for settings detection, it also simplifies the already simple scheme.
In the end it should work with only one pic 16f84 and one 4 Mhz quartz avoiding max232 or max233.
A simple wire to connect to any basic stamp port, two wires for the power and that's it you have a serial lcd.
Of course it's giving a little bit more work to build this serializer but it's still worth to give it a try or it could save some parallel lcd and more than that the Basic Stamp ports which can be used for something else probably more interesting.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-26 16:50
    You can find code for a SEETRON-compatible serial LCD interface in the SX/B help file. While it supports just one baud rate, it offers advanced features like reading from the LCD memory and complete access to the RC port. What this lets you do is turn a $3.50 SX28 into a serial LCD controller with eight additional I/O lines -- and the program is in BASIC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • linocklinock Posts: 31
    edited 2006-02-26 17:04
    Ah that's interesting solution too.
    Thank you for the good advice wink.gif

The Basic Stamp is now much more faster, a real pleasure to work with it and in addition the code is far much clearer, those parallel lcd are a real pain as they provide more hassles than benefits if used as is. Many ports busy with lcd connection, a lot of things to process to display something slowing down more or less the overall micro controller.

Lol now the lcd displays won't annoy me anymore blush.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-26 17:08
    I've attached the code for those that want to see what it looks like.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax