Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How does a basic stamp stepper motor drive compare? — Parallax Forums

How does a basic stamp stepper motor drive compare?

phantomcow2phantomcow2 Posts: 1
edited 2006-02-26 03:28 in BASIC Stamp
My major hobby is CNC motion control systems, and I am currently in the process of building a fairly high end CNC router. This will be driven by NEMA 34 stepper motors for the X and Y axes. I am not certain of what to do for drivers though, a friend suggested a basic stamp driver. Here is what would be necessary:

4-6amps for the motor
ideally it would allow for an input of voltage of 48vDC

What I am most familiar with for stepper motor drives are microstepping choppers, such as those from Gecko drive, or HobbyCNC.
So, can these basic stamp units drive my motor to that level of performance? I have found 1/4 microstep to work well, so i would hope for that.

The other thing i am unsure of, how does the basic stamp unit interface with the PC? THese microstepping choppers like I mentioned used step and direction, so you use that parallel cable from the PC and select two pins at Step/direction for the given axis. Could a basic stamp be used to do this?

ANd lastly, what about speed? How fast could I run these motors? I know with some of these choppers, you can spin a motor at 1000RPM with no load and somewhat high voltage, could that be obtained with this product?

Thanks to all who give helpful replies

Comments