Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe Bot with Tank Treads — Parallax Forums

Boe Bot with Tank Treads

JeffNJeffN Posts: 18
edited 2006-03-04 10:26 in Robotics
Being new to this robotics thing, I have a simple question.· I have a stock Boe Bot with the Parallax tank treads, will the Parallax gripper kit fit?

And, how many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-25 23:36
    Jeff,

·· No, the two accessories are not compatible because the Gripper would hit the tank treads.· And Programmers don't change light bulbs.· =)· It's a hardware problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JeffNJeffN Posts: 18
    edited 2006-02-25 23:42
    Thank you Chris and it is a hardware problem....thanks again!
  • ZaxZax Posts: 48
    edited 2006-02-28 15:54
    Hey Jeff,
    Not that I'm remotley close to MASTER STAMPERS like CHRIS or Ken!!
    Those guys are way out of my league, but this is what I came up with.
    But it will take a little fabrication on your part but it can be done!!!! Check the Post titled Hey MASTERS STAMPERS how do you add a fith servo to BOE? There is a picture of mine that shows it with the gripper and treads!!
    edited 2006-02-28 19:33
    Is that using our Gripper and Our Treads?· I checked the Gripper unit and when open it would hit the front of our treads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JeffNJeffN Posts: 18
    edited 2006-02-28 20:53
    Zax,
    Good looking bot, but the treads I have are from Parallax and extend out past the front of the BoeBot.
    edited 2006-03-02 03:40
    Chris,
    No·the treads are not!! I have the PARALLAX TREADS as well, and had the same troubles. Look at my post on·MASTERS STAMPERS how do you add a fith servo to BOE? and you will see a pic of what·I came up with, with no cutting or drilling of any kind to the boe chasis at all!!!·I used the boes holes and drilled my custom tank plates wich I fabricated·out of aircraft aluminum!! and then polished all the alumnium on the boe!! the Pic was taken before I polished the gripper!

JEFF,

Yes I am aware of that, If you look you will see the servo on my boe sits under the boe chasis you dont need aluminum, you could use plastic.

But I chose alumnium to match It's heaver But I'm running my boe on 7.2
    volts and it realy flys!!! you could use the the boe treds, but you will have to fabricate new plates to mount them on! They will have to be aprox 1/4 inch back from the origional location, and you will have to relocate the servo as well don't get discuraged when your done you can take alot of pride in your custom boe!!!!!!!!!!
    ·
    edited 2006-03-02 04:00
    Here it is chris
    512 x 384 - 79K
    edited 2006-03-02 04:04
    Very nice.· I suspect though that many would like to try that but not be able to create them with the ease you did.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-02 04:33
    Chris,

Give me a brake, you who are 1 with stamp!! I wish I had 1 100th of your stamp programing tallent!!! Besides, if you were to show it to Ken I'm sure he could whip a pair up in a jiff!! and becides that, I owe you a favor for all the times I talked to you on the phone at PARALLAX!! What I do is·use some cardboard·papper and make a pattern and have Ken chop up some aluminum. Boulth sides are the same so all you need is·1 pattern!·I have no mill. I used a drill and jigsaw thats it and filed and sanded the edges then polished them thats it they look like they came From you guys not me!!! thats the high quality look and standard I wanted I didnt want it to look like it was something home made but it is!!

If I can ever give you any help at all oh great master I would he honered just ask Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICK

PS if you want some plans I can do that!!! roll.gif
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2006-03-03 10:30
    Nice treads Zax!!

You can always use ready rubber treads from toys...
    Those I found and used are really cheap!· 8 euro the small ones and 15 euro the large. (This was the cost of buying the whole toy assembled from the self)

Take a look two tank like robots I made (BS2):

110_tank_robot_front.jpg

And here is the second vesion I made with bigger treads:

110_tankrobotv2front.jpg

And here are the links of the guide I made for their construction:

http://ptyxiouxos.net/greekbotics/e107/news.php?extend.30
    http://ptyxiouxos.net/greekbotics/e107/news.php?extend.31
    http://ptyxiouxos.net/greekbotics/e107/news.php?extend.32

Regards, Thanos

Post Edited (Tronic (Greece)) : 3/3/2006 12:11:17 PM GMT
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2006-03-03 17:53
    I don't know if this is helpful, but you could remove the Board-Of-Education
    from the BOE-Bot and put it on one of these:

www.e-clec-tech.com/trvech.html

e-clec-tech_1885_41304138

www.e-clec-tech.com/trakkits.html

e-clec-tech_1885_46403084

e-clec-tech_1885_46368786
    edited 2006-03-04 02:30
    Nice Treds Tronic,
    I realy like the seconed pair there big, looks like you could climb a real tank with those
    Bad Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2006-03-04 10:26
    Thanks Zax,

I have a small video of the tankrobot v2 in action, climbing another robot with ease...

I even installed an inclinometer sensor in case it wants to climb a wall or something so to avoid topping over...!

Thanos

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Greekbotics: Greek Robotics Forum