Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Considering Discovery Kit, but need WAY more demo exercies. — Parallax Forums

Considering Discovery Kit, but need WAY more demo exercies.

TheMistakeMakerTheMistakeMaker Posts: 2
edited 2006-02-25 18:43 in BASIC Stamp
I want to get started in this Parallax Basic Stamp activity, and think the Discovery kit looks good, for what I want.

But I went through the WAM pdf (What is a Microcontroller), and the demos look easy enough - but I'd want more. I'd want a lot more different and interesting demos, realizing I'd have to buy more components outside of what is included in the kit.

Can anyone help point me to extra demos for the kit which includes the BS2 IC?

Thanks,
Newbie: Chuck

Comments

• neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2006-02-25 13:59
    It's not obvious right away, but you'll find there are more demos than you could complete in monthes and monthes right on the parallax site.· They offer for download almost all their documentation, which include a boatload of projects with code.· They also have sample projects attached to most of the items they sell on the site.· Under support and downloads, there is a ton of stuff, including very interesting Nuts and Volts articles.· Plus many years of forum information, where almost every third topic has a project someone is working on, or will at least give you ideas for projects.

Then, once your learning curve starts, theres the inevitable "I have my own ideas on how to use the Basic Stamp."··· If you outgrow that stuff, which will take awhile, there are a milliion websites and lots of books that are basic stamp specific.

Note that all of the demonstration material I just mentioned above cost nothing.·This way, your $$ can go to the accessories and not for documentation.

·(Although I did break down and purchase three of the books to have handy when I needed references.)
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-02-25 14:03
    Look over the Nuts & Volts columns in the Download area at www.parallax.com
    I figure "WAM"·covers the·fundamentals whereupon the spark of imagination should kick in -- and you start going your own way (or don't.)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-25 18:43
    Have a look at the following web page...Every kit on there focuses on a different area of microcontrollers and/or electronics, sensors, industrial control, etc.· And each kit is made to work on the BOE that comes with the Discovery Kit.· You can get the text (book) free in PDF format and all you need is the parts unique to that kit.· You will have some of these already and the rest are easy enough to purchase.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/shop/shop_edu_prod_main.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com