Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Kiosk Display with IR Sensor - With Large Graphic Data — Parallax Forums

Kiosk Display with IR Sensor - With Large Graphic Data

GiChaNaiGiChaNai Posts: 2
edited 2006-02-22 14:10 in BASIC Stamp
Please excuse this post, as I suspect similar questions must have been asked before.

I am in need to build a wall mounted kiosk-style display unit. Here is what the unit needs to do:

1) The unit displays a looping cycle of moving and still images

2) When a visitor approaches the unit(6-10ft approx.), it starts to display another set of images.

3) When the visitor stands in front of the unit and moves his body(waves his hand, for example), it needs to display yet more set of movies and images

4) When the visitor walks away from the unit, the display reverts back to the first set of images described in 1)

As far as the visitor's experience is concerned, it is essentially a monitor on a wall, displaying some screen-saver style of moving images, and upon approaching the unit, a slide show starts which consists of mixture of still and moving images. The forward and backward selection of the slide show is controlled by waving of the right and left hand, respectively.

The first unit which needs to be built has no sound, but future units need to play sound, with volume being adjusted by visitor's body motion.

The following are some rough specifications of the image content:

- The images and movies are full color, minimum 1024x768 pixels, preferrably 1600x1200 pixels

- Image data will be around 4-8 gigabytes total

- The entire Image content needs to be changed to be updated on a weekly basis

- The unit needs to be powered from standard 110v or 220v outlet

- The unit needs to have clean and pretty appearance, as slim as possible

I am guessing that I need to make use of an LCD monitor, a mini PC(trying to aviod laptops if possible), a fast hard drive to store and play back the image data, and most of all, IR or some sort of light-based sensors with a controller and custom codes.

Is this an ideal project for BASIC Stamp?

As you may have guessed, I am new to the robotics field. I am a multimedia content developer(I create all of the image content) and also design, buiid, and install the physical units of these displays. About the only thing I have going for me regarding the programming and electronics end of the discussion is my 9th-grade BASIC programming class(20+ years ago), which I enjoyed, and some good soldering skills, as I work with tools and materials all the time(wood, metal, plastics, CAD and CNC machining applications), and a tendency to tinker every spare minute I have- (:

Even though this project is for work, I see this as an opportunity to finally start off what I have been putting off way too long. Thank you for reading such a long post--any positive or negative will be equally constructive and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gichanai

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-02-22 14:10
    Since you intend on using a mini-pc I would say yes, this project seems do'able. The stamp would provide an interface to the sensor(s) and provide the information to a program running on the mini-pc which would provide the approprate response. Im not sure if an IR pair would be sufficient for the interaction you want (though it might if you use the IR pair detuning method). You may want to consider also incorporating the PING))) and/or the PIR sensor.

After re-reading your post you would have to incorporate another sensor, the IR pair does not have a range of 6-10'. But the IR pair may be the best solution for detecting the hand waving motion. IF you had all three sensors in your prototype you could experiment with which sensors provided the best response to one or more of the human input functions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/22/2006 2:13:45 PM GMT