Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A simple string of ASCII text to a video character generator?! — Parallax Forums

A simple string of ASCII text to a video character generator?!

StuffedStuffed Posts: 1
edited 2006-02-22 12:24 in BASIC Stamp
I know nothing about Basic Stamp or programming (except for some very basic DOS from the early 80’s).
The project am wanting to do is insert the current temperature onto my home TV’s from a weather station. There is a file on my PC called clientraw.txt: 12345 0.0 0.0 158 15.4 61 1006.4 0.0 17.0 80.0 0.0 0.0 24.6 38 0.0 (the temperature is 15.4). How do I get this 15.4 out in a simple string of ASCII text to a video character generator - http://www.decadenet.com/. Just their tech support has pointed me to this board.
Appreciate any assistance.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Why work on Wednesday and stuff up two good long weekends

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-22 01:20
    If the BASIC Stamp was monitoring the temperature sensor you could have it display the data over your·video signal using an SX Video Overlay Module.· But since the file is on the computer there is no way for the BASIC Stamp to automatically get it from your computer.· You would need to write a PC program to send the data serially to the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-22 01:21
    What BASIC Stamp module are you using? If you're using a BS2p-family module then you can buffer the string into SPRAM and parse the elements by looking for the spaces.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-02-22 12:24
    Have a look at my first project which is related to what Chris is saying:

www.sxvm.com (about 1/2 way down).

This is using the original SX Video module which you could use either this or the newer SX OSD module (as Chris suggested) which allows video to be·passed through to·the background. Also check out the demo video at the very bottom of the webpage for example usage for the SX OSD video module.·I really like both video modules because they are so easy to interface to and provide pretty decent results for a good price.

My project used a DS1302 real time clock and displayed it on a video monitor (as well as it was modified·by adding a speech chip and amplifier for speaking the time).

You·could use a temperature chip such as a DS1620 (as there are many example programs using BS2 or SX-28·microcontrollers to interface to).