Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What do 8 video processors mean to you? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

What do 8 video processors mean to you?

2»

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-17 22:33
    Dang you guys are making me feel like I haven't been doing anything.

The LED PWM board is done except the way the flood fill is done by batchPCB it doesn't pass DRC. The guy I was developing it free of charge for got impatient right after the failed submission (I was packing in preperation to move to CA to work at Parallax) and he blew up on me so I dropped development of it (I didn't want to reward his lack of gratitude towards the more than 24 pro bono man-hours I spent laying out the board). If someone wants to tinker with it to see if they can get it to work, I'll give them the files. Be warned its an extremely tight design and almost completely surface-mount.

The video processors are the next AppNote, it is currently ranked 3rd on the order of priorities. Until then, the Hydra manual does a good job explaining thier function and operation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 2/17/2007 10:41:30 PM GMT
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-02-18 01:42
    I'm know where close to understanding how the video drivers work, but has anyone thought of the idea of useing 7 of the cogs to interlace 7 lines of video at once. Then using the final cog for a little bit of serial data transfer; in essance, this would turn the Prop into a graphics card. Have a second prop loading bitmapps into an FRAM, and the graphics card prop reading them from the FRAM. It'd bassically be an AGP like relashonship.

just an idea,
    crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
    edited 2007-02-18 02:31
    Have you looked at Chip's 1900x1200 driver? It uses multiple cogs. The Hydra also has several multi-cog video drivers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-18 03:11
    Where can I find the 1900x1200 driver? Is it a tiled driver? How many cogs does it take?

Thanks for your help,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-02-18 03:14
    The video generation is well documented in the "Game programming for the Propeller powered hydra". Also, there are tile and sprite drivers in the book that are HEAVILY commented and explained line by line. Not only do our engines use multiple cogs, but they do sprites as well as tiles, so those interested in learning to program video drivers from scratch, I suggest the book is worth the expense.

Andre'
    edited 2007-02-18 03:19
    I've been thinking 'bout getting your book for awile. A just have to save up the $80 for it. Have you thought about letting parallax have a free pdf download of your book? lol, I guess that wouldn't work; you have to make a living too.

craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
    edited 2007-02-18 04:07
    Mike Green said...
    1600x1200 driver: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617313 - uses 6 or 7 cogs
    1280x1024 driver: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617144 - uses 4 or 5 cogs
    1024x768 driver: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=614615 - uses 2 or 3 cogs
    Note: all of these have optional cursors that use a cog to implement the cursor overlay
    I quoted Mike because he was the one to originally compile the links.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-02-18 05:31
    Well it's not quite $80 for the Hydra book - try $69.95 at www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=70360

It's well worth the money IMHO and it's 800+ pages!