Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Writing to file — Parallax Forums

Writing to file

Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
edited 2006-02-21 18:49 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to write my datalogs to a file as opposed to display.· Is that possible with the Stamp?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-21 15:20
    Sure you could, but then, where is this file?· What device?· If it's on a PC you can use DEBUG to display results then paste them into an Excel Spreadsheet or Notepad document and save them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-21 15:24
    ebf306 -

Please offer a little more definition to the statement "write my datalogs to a file"?

Do you mean write a small amount of data infrequently to permanent, onboard storage?

Do you mean write large amounts of data or write data frequently to permanent, onboard storage?

Do you mean write any amount and/or frequency of data to removable disk media storage?

Do you mean write any amount and/or frequency of data to a PC for storage on PC media?

All of these things CAN be done, but it's not clear exactly what you want or need to do?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-02-21 15:24
    ebf306:

If you use Hyperterminal you can capture the data to an Excel file, where you can analyze, graph it, or whatever you want.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-21 15:26
    Alternatively, you probably could use VisualBasic to directly move data from the Stamp to a file in the background. You could even have a small window indicate on-going entries as they occur.

Cut and paste seems a bit klunky.

Parallax does have a downloadable transfer to Excel.· It is free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-21 16:09
    I think Rogue Robotics has a device that will let you write to a file on an SD card; this could then be moved to your computer for transfer to other programs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2006-02-21 17:19
    Sorry, didn't realize that my question was so involved or I would have posted more information. I don't have all the answer right now because I was just looking to see if I could do it but I will try to answer what I can.

A little more background:
    Environmental information is captured via the stamp 2p and stored on a series of 24LC32 modules for later retrieval. The information will only be downloaded when I command the download sequence via a SPST switch.

I would prefer to download the information to a spreadsheet or comma delimited file via my pc. I will try StampDAQ tonight - Thanks Kramer
    There are so many resources available from Parallax that I forget to look at all of them. http://www.parallax.com/dl/sw/StampDAQ.zip

Cutting and pasting information from debug would be my last resort. I have never debugged to Hyperterminal, it has always been to the debug terminal which you can't use cut and paste. I will also try to use Hyperterminal tonight. I am assuming the pc serial setup is the same as when programming the Stamp.

The Rogue Robotics idea sounds pretty cool - Thanks Jon. Will have to look into that for my next phase. The electronics for this project has already been etched.
    Thanks
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-02-21 18:41
    Earl, make sure you CLOSE the debug screen before trying to communicate with Hyper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-21 18:49
    I would use SEROUT to send information to HyperTerminal or any other application -- it gives you more control (DEBUG is limited to 9600 baud on the BS2p). Sometime back I created a GPS datalogger for my boss and we dumped comma-delimited files (we used DEBUG in that case, because it was a project demo) that were immediately useful in Excel.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax