Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DSP chips interfacing with a Stamp — Parallax Forums

DSP chips interfacing with a Stamp

MarkphaserMarkphaser Posts: 17
edited 2006-02-21 01:04 in BASIC Stamp
How can i learn how to program a DSP chip?

How can i interface the DSP chip with a Microcontroller please?

Comments

• MarkphaserMarkphaser Posts: 17
    edited 2006-02-20 22:12
    Where can i get Analog sound chips like the TIA,POKEY,SIM's?

Which analog sound chips brands and names is there and how can i trigger the sounds with a microcontroller please?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-20 22:43
    You're asking extremely vague questions. What DSP? As for sound, Winbond has a line of chips called ISDxxxx that are microcontroller compatible. We use the ISD2560 in a couple products, the latest being the AP-8 audio player.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-02-20 23:36
    ·Which brands,models,names for DSP sound chips and analog sound chips are there please?

·How do i use them with a STAMP?

·Do u guys have tuturials on DSP sound chips programming them and interfacing them with the STAMP?
    edited 2006-02-20 23:39
    As I pointed out we use the ISD2560 and if you're interested in learning about it you should consult the data sheet. It can be used as a stand-alone device, or interfaced with a microcontroller (as we do on the AP-8). I wrote a couple articles about it for my Nuts & Volts column, you can find those in the Downloads section of our web site.

No, we do not have any DSP tutorials.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-02-21 00:20
    Thanks

Can u make up a DSP tutorials?
    Is there ISD2560 tutorials?
    Is there AP-8 tutorials?

Can u make them the next time u write some new articles please?
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-21 00:24
    Markphaser,

·· Since we don't carry any DSP chips we won't be publishing any tutorials on them.· You can find a lot of information on the internet (Try Google).· As for the others, there is plenty of documentation and examples.· Is there a specific item in the documentation you don't understand?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-02-21 00:33
    As I pointed out earlier you can find a couple articles on the ISD2560 in our Nuts & Volts downloads section. The AP-8 comes with complete documentation and a demo program to show you how it works. As Chris pointed out, we don't carry DSPs so I won't be writing any articles or tutorials on them -- but you're free to post what you learn here for others to benefit from.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-02-21 01:04
    Thanks guys

Do u guys have anything on how to build a hardware component network to control a audio sound chips or DSP sound chips

Like variable pots to control the waveforms,attack,decay,waveshape,ring modulators,filters with external hardware components to control the analog sound chip or a digital DSP sound chip?

Here is the Datasheets for the atari POKEY sound chip:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kryten_droid/Atari/800XL/atari_hw/pokey.htm