Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
An important question about BasicStamp 1 — Parallax Forums

An important question about BasicStamp 1

TheBombTheBomb Posts: 2
edited 2006-02-21 04:51 in BASIC Stamp
My question is:·Is it necessary to buy this·Basic Stamp 1·Module with this BS1 Serial Adapter?
Because this is my first robotics project and I dont want make a mistake, in any case what is the serial adapter exactly used for?
Thanks to anyone for your time. rolleyes.gif Greetings. jumpin.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-20 04:56
    I think perhaps this question is in reverse...Perhaps you are asking if you need the adapter for the BS1-IC?· In that case the answer would be yes.· You must have the adapter to program a BS1-IC via a Serial Port on a Windows computer.· The only BS1 board you don't need the adapter for (It's built in) is the BS1 Project Board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-02-20 16:20
    TheBomb - The BS1 was originally designed to programmed via your computer's parallel port... the original software that runs on your PC that enables you to create programs is not really being supported anymore... Parallax is trying to get everyone to use the new system that can be used to create programs for ALL the Basic Stamps. The problem is that the new system only supports programming through the serial port or USB... Thus, you need something that can interface between your computer's serial port and the BS1 (hence the need for a BS1 Serial Adapter). The great part about this, for you, is that as you grow into the Stamp II and other Parallax Stamps, you will use the same software to program.

Please bear in mind that I have simplified the situation (and am probably not technically accurate) in an effort to explain in simple terms.

The BS-1's are great, but you may want to consider building a robot using the BS2 (it will give you a lot more flexability!)
  • TheBombTheBomb Posts: 2
    edited 2006-02-20 21:41
    Maybe its better (BS2) but its way too expensive skull.gif
    Anyway, thanks for your help I really appreciate it. roll.gif
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-21 04:51
    TheBomb -

With the BS-2 OEM Kit ON SALE for $30.00 the difference in price is hardly significant.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27291

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->