Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie with questions... — Parallax Forums

Newbie with questions...

randyrwrandyrw Posts: 5
edited 2006-02-19 16:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
My name is Randy and I'm trying to educate myself in microprocessors/ microcontrollers. I have a strong electroincs and mechanical background but I really want to learn building and programming microprocessor circuits. I'm always building small circuits to do various tasks. But I think I could do so much more with microprocessors. I just purchaced a BASIC Stamp 2p40 starter kit. I'm wondering if I should have started with the BS2 kit. Did I go wrong there or can I still learn everthing with this kit? What about the SX Microcontroller? What is the difference in it? I don't want to learn one thing and have to learn it all over again.·Is all the basics of the these microcontrollers the same. If I learn the 2p40 will I be able to jump right into the SX? Reason why I ask is that the SX microcontrollers look like they would be better to use in circuit designs. Once I learn how to write programs and inpliment these into circuits I will be using them in the automotive enviroment to do various things in the performance aftermarket. My first circuit will be a speedometer calibrater to slow down or speed up a signal from the speed sensor. Any input will be greatly appriciated.

thanks
randy

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-02-19 00:04
    Randy;

First, think of the BS2p40 as a "big brother" to the BS2. It has some extra features, but you can choose to ignore them.

You probably want to download the "What is a Microcontroller" (aka: WAM) book, and work through some of the excercises. It can be downloaded for free from this page: www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152 If you are building circuits alread, you probably have most of the parts needed, other than possibly a servo, and you can skip that if you want. This book, and its excercises should get you going.

The SX is a different animal all together. It has a version of basis (SX/B), as well as the ability to be programmed in assembly. The STAMPS are operating at a "higher level", making them "easier" to work with in some ways. In SX, you have the privledge/responsibility of taking control of things at a lower level. For some tasks this is easier, for some, a little more programming effort. The SX chips also have intterupgs.

As you already have the 2p40, I'd suggest starting with that, and working through at least some of the WAM book, then try something for one of your projects. Then, once you're down the road a bit, you could think about the SX, or the new Propeller smile.gif (yet to be officially announced).

I'm in about the same position. I have a STAMP (BS2) and a couple SX chips (SX28 and 40s). I'm working with both. For some of the things I have in mind, the stamp is a little expensive, but it sure is easy to get something up and running. I am tending to use for quick "proof of concept" tasks. It takes me longer to get something running with the SXs, but I suspect that will improve with time. The SX makes it more affordable to have "specialized" boards for tasks, as opposed to trying to do everything with one stamp. (Kind of distributed computing.)

Most important: Have some fun!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10

Post Edited (John R.) : 2/19/2006 12:08:57 AM GMT
  • randyrwrandyrw Posts: 5
    edited 2006-02-19 16:38
    Hey John,
    Thanks for the info.

Randy