Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2e and RF — Parallax Forums

BS2e and RF

gilabitegilabite Posts: 20
edited 2006-02-18 09:56 in BASIC Stamp
does anybody have experience with the abacom am-rt5 and am-hrr3 or something similar. Iam having trouble sending or receiving (not sure which) any data. I'm not sure if it is the antenna Im using or what. Iam new to RF and am not sure what steps to take to diagnose the problem (especially with limited tools ie multi meter). The frequency they are operating at is 433.9 mhz. I tried making a helical coil antenna like the one that they describe with the instructions, I used 22 gauge magnet wire and 18 gauge solid copper wire no luck with both. It says it is compatible with anything that sends TTL/CMOS am I wrong in using serin and serout to send and receive the data. Iam finding limited information and am getting no response from abacom can anybody here give me some tips?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-18 09:56
    gilabite -

This is just a guess, but since Abacom offers RS-232 RF Transmitters, and this isn't one of them, the units you have are probably not asynchronous serial capable, so SERIN and SEROUT will not be compatable with them. Here is a until which would be so compatible:
    http://www.abacomdirect.com/RS-232-Transmitter-RTcomTX-P93293C23630.aspx

Another guess is that the units you have will need encoders and decoders, and that the access will be byte at a time. Personally, I wouldn't purchase any RF gear that didn't have complete documentation on how to use it. Additionally, you might get a good bit further asking Abacom about their modules and how to use them with microcontrollers. If they don't know, I don't know who might.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->