Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mt8880ce dtmf ic — Parallax Forums

Mt8880ce dtmf ic

WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
edited 2006-02-18 08:25 in BASIC Stamp
I purchased this IC with a stamp and a few other components for a project, but this is the last component that I'm just getting to. I noticed that the chip didn't come with a datasheet, and when I checked the Parallax website I was unable to find this product anymore (searched by both "MT8880CE" and "DTMF"). I was able to find a datasheet on another website, but can you give me tips for finding this sheet or other sheets in the future? I assumed that a search by the part number of the chip would yeild results, but it didn't even yeild the product page. Any help for my future searches would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-17 15:30
    Will,

·· That part has ben discontinued.· When that happens the page remains active for quite some time, but you cannot search for it as it no longer appears in our database.· With the direct link to the part you can in fact get to that page.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=604-00003

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-17 15:45
    You might reconsider why you discontinued it. Nonetheless, I too am happy to get another chance to download the documents.

I recently have been taking inventory of all the chips that I haven't used and this is one of them. [noparse][[/noparse]I got stuck with having to locate the tranformer locally, but now have it].

I suspect that this is a classic interface that can be revived in many forms. It certainly remains a very popular consumer product chip.

Anyway, the Forum has recently has had a lot of discussion of using cellular phones with modems and SMS. It occured to me that this could be used in many configurations to divert your home phone into a modem connected to a BasicStamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
    edited 2006-02-17 17:11
    Thanks for the reply. It makes sence to remove it from the database so folks don't get tempted by what they can't have, however a "search for discontinued" products in the support section would be a nice touch. If I may inquire, what product has replaced it?

I'm not sure that I'm asking this in the right forum, if not, I apologize in advance.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-18 04:57
    There is no replacement.· You can still purchase the chip, we just don't carry it anymore.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-18 08:25
    The MT8880CE is still in production and sold elsewhere. I suppose that one of the reasons that Parallax doesn't carry it is that both the BasicStamp and the SX will create DTMF transmissions.

On the other hand, this is a transciever. It can receive and act upon DTMF. I don't think that the BasicStamp or the SX can do that as easily and continue on with other things.

Parallax tends to mainly carry chips that support its educational efforts. It doens't really try to be a full service chip supplier to hobbyist. That would be a nearly impossible job. You get stuck with too much inventory for small orders. Digikey really manages that better [noparse][[/noparse]but right now they are going crazy with the shift to new ICs without lead].

There will always be some support chips that duplicate the BasicStamp and the SX in function, but there are a few chips that you cannot do without. For RS-232, the Max-232 in nearly necessary; for RS-485, the various driver chips are needed; and for reception of DTMF I think this is quite necessary too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan