Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wiring LCD Parallel in-bit mode — Parallax Forums

Wiring LCD Parallel in-bit mode

kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
edited 2006-02-17 15:21 in BASIC Stamp
··· Always double checking myself and apologize to all those of you that get stuck reading my dumb questions. OK from the schematic I have PINS 4,5,6, and 7 provide the 4-bits of data. Then the other 4-bits on the LCD are connected straight to ground. Can someone tell me if that is correct? I saw one schematic that did not connect those 4-bits pinouts to anything that would be easier but does not make much sense to me. As you can tell I am far from a electronic wiz.

Comments

• kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2006-02-17 12:54
    I should clarify the PINS 4,5,6 and 7 I refer to are coming from the basic stamp and connect to the pinouts 11,12,13 and 14 of the LCD.
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2006-02-17 14:56
    For a Hitachi HD44780 controlled LCD in 4-bit data mode, LCD data pins for data bits 0, 1, 2, 3 are grounded. These correspond to LCD pins 7, 8, 9, 10. You can also ground the read/write pin 5 unless you need to use the LCD for data storage. Some LCD's work well when the contrast, pin 3, is grounded.

This leaves you with just 6 pins required for control, the 4 data pins, the enable pin and the register select pin. Don't forget ground and Vdd.
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2006-02-17 15:01
    That is very helpful. I got one addtiional question. The LCD I have is 16 pins with backlight option and I did not find on the schematic how to connect those. Any ideas?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-17 15:21
    If the LCD is LED backlit then one of those pins will be ground (Cathode Terminal) and the other will be V+ (Anode).· You will need the datasheet for that display to determine the backlight forward voltage and current to pick the correct resistor to run it from the supply voltage.· I have seen these values vary from 2 ohms to 100 ohms depending on the display.· Then again your display could just as easily have a CCFL or EL backlight, in which case you would need an inverter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com