Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Playstation controller — Parallax Forums

New Playstation controller

mountaineermountaineer Posts: 27
edited 2006-02-16 04:35 in BASIC Stamp
I am using a Playstation controller to control my current robot. The robot runs a BS2 OEM edition. The steering of the robot is controlled by the right analog joystick. On the controller I was using before the springs that center the joystick were defective and didn't center the joystick correctly. The left joystick centers fine but I have to use the right. I tried buying a new Playstation controller, but that one does not work at all. They are both the Sony DualShock 2 controller. I thought they might have updated their chipsets so I opened up the controllers. Turns out the old controller and new controller use different chips and the circuit board is different. I looked at the back of the controller and found the information on the back is slightly different. It is the same except the letter on the far right on the fourth line down is different. I'll call that letter the version. The version of the old one that works is "H" and the new one that doesn't work is "A." I tried using the code that Jon Williams wrote and the old controller works but the new controller appears as though it isn't even plugged in. What is the problem?

I also have tried using wireless controllers but those also do not appear as plugged in. Has anyone gotten a wireless controller working and, if so, who is the manufacturer and what is the model?

Thanks in Advance, botguy

Comments

• bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-02-16 01:09
    Now that's weird! I have a playstation controller I've been trying to get to work for a month now. It doesn't even recognize it's status, ID or anything when its plugged in. I attributed it to its old age (it's AT LEAST 4 years old), but it still works on my playstation. I just checked and it has an "A" on the back.

I tried a Pelican wireless controller but it did not work. It returned an ID but couldn't start the communication sequence.

I ended up buying one of those clone controllers (looks just like the dualshock), and it works fine for me.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2006-02-16 04:35
    I had a similar problem. I ended up dumping the whole serial protocol thing and used RC time and lookup tables instead. the code was faster and more compact.