Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone Know about connecting to Linksys Router — Parallax Forums

Anyone Know about connecting to Linksys Router

kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
edited 2006-02-15 21:34 in BASIC Stamp
·· Hi all, I have a wireless linksys route that I use to connect all the computers at my home. Is there a module, device or some way to also connect a robot that uses a BS2 Stamp to my network? I want to be able to comunicate with the robot issuing commands and later maybe add a webcam to the robot and see where the robot is.

Comments

• JKL TechJKL Tech Posts: 13
    edited 2006-02-15 19:55
    We think that what your getting at is to be able to route a wireless card to a COM Port.
    You could try to compare the card's I/O Pins that go to the computer and compare them
    to that of a COM Modem (That's not built in)

Hope this helps.

-JKL Tech©, Incorperated
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2006-02-15 20:03
    If I understand your suggestion is to take one of the wireless network cards from the PC and match the pins to that of the BASIC STAMP? One big problem I would see is that on the PC there is driver software to control the wireless card commands and functions. I was hoping that maybe someone else had attempted something along this line and may have a schematic and or code. I know what it is the lazy mans way out, but I have done alot of research on the internet on this and alwys come up empty. I may not be using the right search keywords.
  • John AstralidisJohn Astralidis Posts: 28
    edited 2006-02-15 20:35
    Hi!

Just follow the instructions on this page http://www.rwhitby.net/wrt54gs/serial.html, as to install two COM ports (one male and one female) into your router.
    Also, the female port can be used in HyperTerminal for debugging -without having to remotely login to your router! wink.gif

Finally, I would recommend you to have a check at this site www.openwrt.org if you like to go a step further with your router's capabilities. If you haven't already done, so.

I did these with my WRT54GS v.1.0 and works great. For anything particular just send me a P.M.

Regards, John.
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2006-02-15 21:00
    John that web page looks like it will give me just what I am looking for. I do not have the time to read it in detail right now, but a brief scan of it looks like just the ticket for doing what I had in mind.

I sure want to thank you and commend you on your search abilities, they are better than mine. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2006-02-15 21:23
    Kenwin said...
    John that web page looks like it will give me just what I am looking for. I do not have the time to read it in detail right now, but a brief scan of it looks like just the ticket for doing what I had in mind.

I sure want to thank you and commend you on your search abilities, they are better than mine. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Hello!
    It happens that I am indeed familiar with that webpage. I've exchanged some pretty witty e-mail with the individual there as well. Not just concerning that subject, but on one other that he's involved with. Installing those serial ports is not for the faint of heart. I strongly reccomend that you study your router's external appearances thoroughly before continuing. And also read his webpage thoroughly.

Now for actually having your Stamp talk to a Linksys router, (Wired or Wireless, it does not matter.), I would suggest another route. A company called Lantronix makes a thing called an Xport. It will do what you want. At one end is the connection to the serial lines from the stamp, at the other is the same style connector as the regular Ethernet ports. They also make Wireless gizmos which do the same thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • John AstralidisJohn Astralidis Posts: 28
    edited 2006-02-15 21:34
    Kenwin,
    having a second thought from Rogers won't harm, but a lot of my colleques in University successfully did so, as we built are own autonomous ad-hoc network.

It's your decision.

If u like any more ideas on linksys router's stuff just PM me.

John.