Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK setup — Parallax Forums

PINK setup

JovanniJovanni Posts: 5
edited 2006-10-26 02:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I just got my pink and I have been trying to connect it to the BOE. The documentation that came with it does not help at all. Is there anywhere I could get help just setting the connection up to pink.

Thanks,

Jovanni

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-02-15 15:17
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/comm/30013-PINK-v1.02.pdf

Page 2 of product documentation: Schematic of quick start circuit, connecting PINK to a BOE
    Page 2 of product documentation: Picture of actual connection to a BOE

Besides a picture and a schematic, what would you find useful? We are always welcome to suggestions on how to improve our documentation.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-02-15 16:09
    Hi Ryan,
    I noticed·you referenced a version update to 1.02 (from 1.01).

There still are errors in this document.
    I have found (and this was confirmed by TimC)
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=568807
    that the status bits 4, 5, and 6 are
    different than stated in the document.
    bit4 gets set after an email is sent
    bit5 gets set after an udp message is received
    bit6 gets set if the Pink is busy and cannot accept commands other than the GetStatus command.

I would also like mentioned that when writing 64 databytes to a variable from the stamp,
    the closing CLS (binary 0) is NOT written to that variable. This means one can fill up
    consecutive variables with 64 bytes. By reading the variables back, the reading continues
    across consecutive variables until a CLS character is encountered.

After the SendEmail command, any next command will generate a Missformed Message error.
    Workaround: use !NB0SM!X as the SendEmail command, then the next command works.

A closing : in writing a variable results in a cleared/blank variable.
    SEROUT NBReceive, Baud, [noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WES:Hello:",CLS] 'Load Subject
    will not work and will send a BLANK Subject line because of the final ":"
    [noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WES:Hello:There",CLS] Works Fine

Please update the document with these findings.

regards peter
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-02-15 16:47
    We are going to have a bigger revision release- was trying to hold off until firmware changes could happen- with other projects it appears that this won't happen as soon as we'd like, so I'm putting in the other updates soon. Thanks for the reminder, we are always striving to keep our docs as up to date as possible.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • JovanniJovanni Posts: 5
    edited 2006-02-16 06:11
    Hello Ryan,

It might be me, but I am connecting my curcuit like the diagram on the manual. However, it is not detecting anything. There is nothing in the "Select a Unit" portion of the IP setup. I try to use the DHCP configuration and it gives me·a message "You must first select an NDK in the select a unit in the tree" and there is· nothing in the

select a unit box.

Also, is the STAMP disabled when the PINK is hooked up to it, because it does not detect the stamp either (once I disconnect the PINK the STAMP runs perfect). I am thinking, for some reason the PINK is not hooked up correctly. Serial out pin goes to pin· 7 of the stamp, serial in goes to pin 8 of the stamp. Could anyone help me get started.

Jovanni
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-02-16 09:34
    Have you powered the Pink with a seperate 5V power supply.
    You can NOT use the stamp vdd output.
    Also connect Pink GND to stamp GND.

regards peter
  • MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-10-24 19:58
    Somebody said...

Have you powered the Pink with a seperate 5V power supply.
    You can NOT use the stamp vdd output.
    Also connect Pink GND to stamp GND.

I have. I have looked at the drawing and the photo. I have verified all of the connections...about a half-dozen times. I have tried both crossover and straight e-net cables to my PC (since IPSetup won't work through a router). I have hooked up an external supply to the BOE breadboard. I have NOT run the external 5V supply into my BOE VSS or VDD (because that seems like a great way to smoke the BS2). I have verified both board power and E-net power LEDs are clear and bright in both power schemes. I have watched the right-hand LED on the e-net port blink when I hit "Search Again". I have cursed...just a bit. I have played with my computer's IP settings. I have cycled power to the BOE and closed then re-opened the IPSetup program on the off chance it is just 'sticky' I have searched the forums. I have looked at NetCentral's config docs. I have run out of ideas.

The "Select a Unit" window has remained resolutely empty.

Kalo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard
  • MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-10-25 15:36
    OK. For the record:
    "Zone Alarm" is a properly paranoid Virus Protection Suite and it absolutely freaks out when you add unfamiliar hardware. Once I dealt with that, the Netburner worked like a charm.

Also, the BOE has plent of power (depnding on your wall-wart choice, I suppose) to run the PINK.

Regards,
    Kalo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard
  • DosEdgeDosEdge Posts: 33
    edited 2006-10-26 00:01
    ) Concentrate on a simple network. Try connecting to the PINK directly with your PC using a crossover cable which should be the red cable that comes with the NBDK (Netburner Development KIT) if purchased. Only this two devices, and of course power the PINK accordingly to the manual. If you use this route, you will have to assign static IP addresses to both ethernet connections. Which means you have to change the network settings on your PC network card to static instead of automatically obtaining (IP,Network Mask, DNS, and Gateway). Once that is done, you have to configure the PINK. Your kit should have came with a software CD. On that CD, it should be an IP Setup executable file which locates any Netburner Device. Copy that file to your Desktop on your PC. Through that setup, you can configure the PINK using the same information that you assign to the PC ethernet card;but use another IP address. Click Search and the PINK should appear. Select that PINK and Click Launch WebPage. It should bring up the factory default page for the PINK.

II) If you reach the factory default page, you should be able to the network configuration page to configure the PINK to DHCP. Under the configuration page you have two selection: DHCP and Static. You should be able to view the same configuration of the PINK that you entered during the IP Setup utility under the Static configuration . You can clear all the information from the static configuration. Select DHCP from the drop down menu for the configuration. In the DHCP configuration, it should fill up with 0.0.0.0 for the IP address. If so, go to the bottom of the page and Click Submit Settings.

III)Now, you are ready to insert the PINK onto the DHCP network. You have to go back and configure your PC ethernet settings back to obtain automatically. You have to use a regular ethernet cable (blue cable) for both your PC and PINK to connect them to the network. Run the IP Setup on your Desktop again, and you should see the PINK enabled at DHCP with the IP address assign to it by the DHCP server.

IV) If that does not work, then you have to contact your network administrator due to the proxy server configuration allowing the PINK on the network.

VI) If this is not clear, just Private Message (PM) me about the part that you do not understand. I attached some pictures of the connection if you do not understand the schematics in the manual.
    1965 x 1758 - 732K
    2576 x 1932 - 1M
    2198 x 1794 - 929K
  • JovanniJovanni Posts: 5
    edited 2006-10-26 02:43
    Thanks,

Jovanni