Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Some questions about the Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

Some questions about the Boe-Bot

XNORXNOR Posts: 74
edited 2006-02-16 17:18 in Robotics
Greetings, smile.gif

I have some questions about my Boe-Bot that I hope someone could help me with:

- Sometimes my Boe-Bot gets stuck against some obstacle and I can hear the motors working hard, but with the wheels not spinning, or only spinning slowly. I am wondering if it is possible for the Boe-Bot to measure the current going into the motors, so that it knows when it is stuck. (I am thinking that the current draw would go up when the Boe-Bot is struggling against some obstacle.)

- Is there a way for the Boe-Bot to write a "datalog" to it's memory? The eventual goal would be for the Boe-Bot to build an internal map about it's surroundings by exploring and "remembering" the locations of obstacles. (I am guessing that I would also need something like wheel-encoders and/or an electronic compass.)

- I would like to connect some dual-color, 2-pin LED's to the breadboard that would indicate some internal state of the Boe-Bot. For example, the LED would be green when going forward, and would switch to red when backing-up. From the examples in the Boe-Bot manual I see how to send a "high" signal to a regular LED. But how do I reverse the current to make the dual-color (2-pin) LED change color?

Since I am new to microcontrollers, I am kind of clueless. confused.gif
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. idea.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

Comments

• edited 2006-02-15 00:25
    Yes, you can monitor voltage drops with a 10k Potentiometer.· Connect the outermost pins to·Vin and Vss, then connect the center tap pin to an I/O pin with a 470 Ohm resistor.· Write a program to monitor the potentiometer's output.· Adjust the potentiometer until you find the threshold between 0 and 1.··Then, adjust it a little into the 1·range.··Then, write a program·that causes the Boe-Bot's piezospeaker to beep every time it stalls.· It will take some additional adjustments to get the Boe-Bot to detect stalls and discern them from direction changes during normal operation.

There's a bi-color LED intro in Chapter·2, Activity #5 in What's a Microcontroller? Parts Kit and Text (v2-2).· Follow the link to·find the PDF download.·

You·can program your Boe-Bot to datalog with·various combinations of the DATA, WRITE, and READ commands.· There are datalogging examples all over the place, but since you'll already have What's a Microcontroller on-hand, check Chapter 7, Activity #3 for a simple datalogging example.

Yes, an encoder is pretty much necessary, here's a link to one.· Boe-Bot Digital Encoder Kit

Good luck!
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2006-02-16 17:18
    Thank you very much Andy,
    I'll give it a try.
    smile.gif