Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Working Transformer robot (from vehicle to robot) — Parallax Forums

Working Transformer robot (from vehicle to robot)

ktekxktekx Posts: 71
edited 2006-02-17 02:17 in Robotics
I don't know if it's appropriate to post this here, but I found it pretty cool and maybe other robot enthusiasts might so too. Mods can just remove this post if it shouldn't be here.

This is a video clip of a robot that transforms (just like those transformer cartoons!!), some Japanese guy built it.

video here

wr071ba.jpg

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-14 11:16
    Somedays I wish I were Japanese. They really have their own creative streak.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-02-14 18:41
    I would suggest that this has less to do with relative creativity, and more to do with available (and/or applied) time and access to resources, both materiala and machining/fabrication.

There may be cultural tendancies, but I beleive they have more to do with corporate culture (making time and resources available or not) and how different cultures choose to spend their free time.

Make no mistake, the transformer is to be admired. On the other hand, give me some money and time, and I would be more likely to do something along the lines of an underwater ROV (that could be used to "scout" our fishing locations), or soemthing for my model railroad. Other creative people I know (here in the US of A) are also more inclined to build something "useful" as opposed to something that is just inherantly "neat" (no judgment meant, my railroad is not useful, just "neat"). Does this make us collectively "less creative", or do we just choose to apply our creativity differently?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2006-02-14 19:14
    Well it seems John R took that as a challenge to his american creativity :P. I think this is pretty cool. THe application is ZERO but it's fun to watch
    edited 2006-02-15 00:11
    Not a personal challenge, but I am confronted with this perceived "superiority" of Asian as well as European efforts in various areas. I do not begrudge them their success (I even note above that the transformer is to be admired). What I do resent is the implications that other countries (not just the U.S. of A) can't do the same. There is a difference between the ability to do so, and the choices and/or opportunities presented.

I did not/do not mean to pass judgment on anyone's choices or culture. I was just trying to point out that different cultures produce different opportunities and different values. The results are accordingly different.

Let me put it another way. I truly admire the transformer. I probably couldn't do that myself. On the other hand, let's assume that I could do that. Due to my cultural background and personal interests, I don't think I'd allocate the time it would take to design it, and don't have ready access to a machine shop to make the parts. If the parts were all commercially available, I probably wouldn't want to spend the money. While these are personal choices I would make, they are, at least in part, influenced by my upbringing and my culture.

And yes, it is VERY fun to watch! I admire it, and the creativity of the people who built it. I "wish" I could it, but also realize that even if I could, I would probably choose not to. I'm also certain that there are other areas I (and/or my culture) excel in that are envied by others.

I mean all of the above with a "light heart" and appologize to those who may think I'm "preaching".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2006-02-17 02:17
    blush.gifEgad! Looking at that "after the fact" it sure looks more serious than I meant it.

I really meant to take nothing away from the creators. It is certainly neat!

Sorry...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10