Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
modify a servo — Parallax Forums

modify a servo

nelson1000nelson1000 Posts: 25
edited 2006-02-16 13:40 in Robotics
I was wondering if someone could take a look at this web page and tell me which servo would be the easiest to modify for continuous rotation. The price range that I am willing to spend is approx 25 CAD max as I have to purchase ~6 motors.

I would like to order from parallax but since I live in Ontario the shipping is expensive.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-13 00:18
    nelson -

Although they appear to be out of stock at the moment, you can purchase Parallax continuous rotation servos right from the Canadian Parallax Distributor here:
    http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=114

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-02-13 13:34
    A good standard servo that is easy to hack is the Futaba S3003... there are many articles on how to modify it for continuous rotation. There are also a variety of places to get it... Price is ususally about $10 US each + Shipping.
  • nelson1000nelson1000 Posts: 25
    edited 2006-02-14 00:52
    Thanks for all the info.... I did not realize that there was a canadian dealer
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2006-02-15 13:36
    Let me expand the question:

What is an easy servo to modify with "non-metal" gears and ball bearings?

What is an easy servo to modify with metal gears and ball bearings?
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2006-02-16 13:40
    Not all servos are easily modified, often because of the mechanical components.

I was looking for recommended servo models that others have good luck modifying. Most of my servos have been Futaba S148 and I wanted to move to better units. Some units employ ball bearings and high stress special composite gears. Other ball bearing units use metal gears.

Because these are higher quality, expensive servos, I didn't want buy without knowing they can be eaily modified.