Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I build my own, smaller "carrier board"? — Parallax Forums

Can I build my own, smaller "carrier board"?

bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
edited 2006-02-12 07:52 in BASIC Stamp
I have my whole circuit designed and tested and am in the process of making it permanent (soldering it together). I've found most of the parts I think will work from Radioshack:

IC socket for stamp: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062605&cp
-it has a few more pins than needed, but looks like it will work

Breadboard-layout Printed Circuit Board: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102846&cp

9-position female D-sub connector ("serial port"): www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103806&cp

If I am correct, this is all I need to do this? I simply need to connect the pins on the stamp to the right pins on the serial connector for it to work? Thanks.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-02-11 19:36
    Yep -- all you have to do is get everything right.· What could be simpler?
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-02-11 19:59
    Actually, looking at the schematic for the Super Carrier board, I found 2 0.1uF capacitors going to the serial connector.

If I don't want to use an AC adaptor, can I just hook up my battery directly to the Vss and Vin? Or do I need to do something else to regulate the power before it reaches the stamp?

Also, if I don't need the Reset feature, do I just leave RES alone (unwired)?

Here is the link to the schematic: www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/supercarrierbd.pdf
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-11 20:11
    Hello,

VIN is for 5.5-12 volts.· So if you're using 4 AA batteries or a 9V then yes, use VIN.· As for RESET, leave it unconnected if not using it.· Do NOT tie it HIGH, internally it is pulled-up.· Tying HIGH or LOW will cause undesireable effects.· Tying it LOW would mean the Stamp was always in a RESET state and tying it HIGH would mean you couldn't program it as well as affecting the brownout circuit in a bad way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-02-11 23:10
    The (2) .1 UF caps are recommended - it should help programming the BS2. Note the voltage regulator on a BS2 is small and only will be able to supply around 30 mA for other components on the board. By comparison, the Super Carrier can be run off a 9V battery or an AC adapter, it's SMALLER than the Radio Shack prototype board you linked to and the voltage regulator supplies 1A.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-12 00:58
    Just as a side-note, the Super Carrier Board is only $19.95 and has the sockets for a BS1 or BS2 series, voltage regulator, AppMod Header, reset button, connections for servo headers, protoboard area, etc.· Rather than have a custom board made for smaller projects now I just use this board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-02-12 07:52
    Ok thanks for all the responses. I went out to RadioShack and got all the parts. After a few hours of work, I had it all wired up and it works perfectly!smile.gif

I originally was using the Super Carrier Board, but I also had a breadboard where my circuit was wired up. The PCB in the link is the same layout as my breadboard, so it was easy transfering everything. The Super Carrier is smaller, but it is a little too wide for my application. Also, the way I had it mounted on my robot before, I could not access the serial plug easily. Now I can run my robot with the serial cable plugged in, so debugging is easier.

It probably would be much easier to use a Super Carrier Board. Next time I design a robot, I'll keep in that in mind so it has enough room to fit. This time around, I had my robot built before I put any thought as to where the stamp would go... rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for the help.