Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Experiments in Renewable Energy — Parallax Forums

Experiments in Renewable Energy

LawrencLLawrencL Posts: 49
edited 2006-02-10 20:09 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello:

I would like to hear from anyone who has used this kit in a junior high or high school setting in terms of
how popular the content was with the students.· I would also appreciate any advice or recommendations on setting up an informal
class for 4-10 students.

Thanks,

Lawrence Lewis
Alternative Energy Now

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-02-10 20:09
    Lawrence,

I haven't used this kit, but there are so many angles that you could approach this subject from: computer science, industrial arts, biology, chemistry, physics, math...

You might consider designing an interactive project that would involve each area, allowing the students to see and experience the interaction of these subjects. The teachers could evaluate the project, and each would determine what to emphasize from their respective subjects. The students would then also submit their finding relevant to each topic in a final comprehensive report.

The cool thing about doing something like this is that although it covers many subjects, it isn't disconnected conceptually. Doing the work in one area reinforces the other areas.

As for an informal class, if your students haven't completed the "What's a Microcontroller" kit, you should start them there. It will give them the foundational skills need to complete "Renewable Energy." If you don't have the kits, Parallax can get you going, or you can check out the WaM kit from Radio Shack. You could get a couple of WaM kits and work through them in groups, each student taking turns "building and coding" the projects.