Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Time keeping with the Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Time keeping with the Basic Stamp

GaryvbGaryvb Posts: 1
edited 2006-02-10 17:57 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I'm attempting to implement a calender w/ clock into a Basic Stamp script with the intention of using a specific date and time of day as a variable for output.· Does anyone know of an accurate method to do this, either through processing or external hardware?· If not, is there a way to keep time for shorter intervals, say an hour, and have a range of output, which once triggered, that would be dependent on what time of the day it was?· Thanks.· -Gary

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-02-09 22:48
    The DS1302 time keeping chip with·32.768KHz crystal will work perfect.· Here is a link for the DS1302 and crystal: http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/componentshop/integrated_circuits.asp

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-02-10 16:12
    Garyvb said...
    Hi, I'm attempting to implement a calender w/ clock into a Basic Stamp script with the intention of using a specific date and time of day as a variable for output. Does anyone know of an accurate method to do this, either through processing or external hardware? If not, is there a way to keep time for shorter intervals, say an hour, and have a range of output, which once triggered, that would be dependent on what time of the day it was? Thanks. -Gary

I know that lots of folks like the DS1302, but myself I like the Pocketwatch B unit:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27962

The unit is small and has lots of neat features. I built a demo program using the Parallax LCD, a BSII and a Pocketwatch B to make a minimalist "Digital Clock". I've attached some pictures of the finished test unit and the example source code so you can see how the Pocket watch can be used. The pocket watch is the small square blue board in the right center of the "opencase" photo. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

1024 x 1206 - 98K
    1024 x 945 - 136K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-10 17:57
    Vern,

·· The reason I push the DS1302 over the PWB is the Battery Backup features...The Pocket Watch has none by default and it takes a beefier backup battery to maintain it.· I never tested the current draw, but I believe it is sufficiently higher to cause some people to want to use a chip with battery backup.·

·· As a side-note, one of the main reason I like the battery backup on the DS1302 is that it backs up the RAM as well.· I will often use this RAM for settings I need to be non-volatile, but updated frequently.· In this case EEPROM wouldn't be a good choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com