Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What you wanted to know about PINK and UDP — Parallax Forums

What you wanted to know about PINK and UDP

Houba_bauduinHouba_bauduin Posts: 4
edited 2006-02-15 15:14 in BASIC Stamp
It was kind of nightmare to find all I wanted about the PINK and I did a "best of" for my fellow Stampfolks.

-On the SB70 you cannot change the UDP port for broadcast: It's fixed and it's port 10000
-Do not try out of the box to talk 9600 of higher to the SB70. Try 1200 first (do the settings on the stamp, 813 on BS2E for 1200 Bps and on the SB70 using the factory setting web page).
-Check for loosy connection using the green cables.
-Power cycle both SB70 and Stamp at the same time when you're doing changes (that helps a bit to have everybody in sync)
-The J5 pinout on the SB70 is as this:

Pin9·· Pin7· Pin5· Pin3· Pin1
Pin10·Pin8· Pin6· Pin4··Pin2

Pin 3 is TX of the module, so have to be connected to SERIAL IN of BS2
Pin 4 is RX of the module, so have to be connected to SERIAL OUT of SB2

- The most usefull software for spying what you're doing on ethernet is there and free.
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

- If you want to send a string with a· changing numeric payload over udp:
FOR CtVal =1 to 12
· SEROUT PinkOut,813, [noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WBM:Your text",DEC CtVal,CLS]
· SEROUT PinkOut,813, [noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0SB"]
NEXT·
where CtVal is the decimal value to be sent.

Comments

• Houba_bauduinHouba_bauduin Posts: 4
    edited 2006-02-10 00:16
    And I've forgot to mention that you have to EXIT RE ENTER UdpTerminal application if you want changes to be applied.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-02-15 15:14
    *The issue of the fixed port has been under discussion. Future revisions of the firmware may allow you to change the port. The port number was chosen to be out of the way, non-standard.

*The module handles 9600 baud out of the box fine, as tested an run on dozens of modules.

*The green cables are provided to help with prototyping and testing- breadboards are never meant as final solutions- Any breadboard/breadboard wire connection should be checked when a wiring problem is suspected

*Power cycling each module simply requires you to keep in mind the time it takes for the PINK to get up and running. A simple PAUSE (as in the sample code) handles this just fine. The amount of time it will take for the PINK to get onto your particular network may vary. (This is not unique to the PINK- even the serial LCDs require a pause of some type- almost everything connected to a stamp needs time to start up before you start sending data/instructions to it)

*The documentation on the site now reflects pin direction for the SERIAL port connection. Covered multiple places in the forums as well.

*Etherreal is one of many packet sniffers-

*Depends on what application you are using (UDP apps)

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com

Post Edited (Ryan Clarke (Parallax)) : 2/15/2006 3:20:43 PM GMT