Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help - Cant download to BS2 — Parallax Forums

Help - Cant download to BS2

Lee_SpeakmanLee_Speakman Posts: 32
edited 2006-02-10 14:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this, my names Lee and I study Electronic Engineering at Liverpool University - England.

Im having trouble with my BS2, its been working fine then·for some Reason I cant get the system to find the basic stamp. The COM Port reports LOOPBACK 'YES' and ECHO 'YES', ive checked the continuity of the connections and all seems fine, Its powered by PIN 24, with 9v In, I know its getting sufficent power as the 5v out (Pin 21) Is able to power an LCD screen inc. Backlight, even with this Disconnected Im not getting any recognision,

Any help would be greatly apprechiated!

Lee S

Comments

• Lee_SpeakmanLee_Speakman Posts: 32
    edited 2006-02-07 21:50
    Im Sorry I bet this has been asked a thousand times, I just cant seem to get it work. If it helps I am (well was) Building a Digital Dash for a that shows engine parameters and has a launch control and RPM limit function!
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-07 22:07
    Lee -

If you're using a 9 volt battery, try putting a new one in.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-02-07 22:12
    Thanks Bruce, but I am using a Mains to DC transformer, its good for around 500mA, so i cant see that being the problem.
  • cjolson140cjolson140 Posts: 5
    edited 2006-02-08 00:17
    Hi,
    Try this trouble-shooting list:
    1. Is the serial cable a null modem cable? If so, it won't work.
    2. Is there a serial port driver problem with your PC? (if using USB-Serial adapter, is it working?)
    3. Is the power coming off the mains adaptor 'clean'?
    4. Is the power the correct voltage? (check with multimeter)
    Even if the mains adaptor is working and the BS2 powers on, try using a 9v battery or 4 AA batteries.
    Hope this helps.
    Caleb
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-08 00:57
    The fact that it was working could indicate that the Stamp Module was damaged.· Have you changed computers or are you using a USB to Serial adapter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2006-02-08 06:09
    I have had problems with comports on my laptop. You can verify your com port by using hyperterm and a serial cable. Open a direct connection session in Hyperterm and jumper pins 2 and 3 together which will connect the transmit and recieve pins together. Whatever you type should be echoed to the screen. That will verify the serial port. Check your wiring with a meter. Sometimes, particularly on a breadboard, wires get loose in sockets, unplugged etc. Using a meter to verify voltage or continuity could help. Never under estimate the value of checking the simple things first.
    edited 2006-02-10 00:00
    Hi all, thanks for your replys, the Issue hasw been resoloved with a new basic stamp!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-02-10 14:44
    Good! Now, do you know why the old BS2 broke?