Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Mounting — Parallax Forums

LCD Mounting

TomSTomS Posts: 128
edited 2006-02-11 18:00 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone help out with some mounting tips or suggestios for the serial LCD modules. I would like it to look nice. A bezel would also be nice to protect the display.

Thanks
Tom Smuts

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-06 20:19
    Tom,

·· Have a look at the following threads.· This has been covered a few times in the past.· These were the first matches of many in a search.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=533901

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=525003

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-02-07 23:59
    TomS said...
    Can anyone help out with some mounting tips or suggestios for the serial LCD modules. I would like it to look nice. A bezel would also be nice to protect the display?

I used a pactec case I purchased at Frys. It had an angled location for an LCD and the bezel provided just needed a bit of work with a dremel to make the LCD fit:

closedcase-t.jpg opencase-t.jpg

(Click either of the above images tro see in high-res) Though I couldn't find the part on the fry's website (outpost.com) I did find what appears to be the same case on the pactec site itself:

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/Plastic-Enclosures/HPLS.html

As you can see, the case can easily hold the LCD itself, a BSII, a Super Carrier board, A Pocket watch-B and a Rogue Robotics uMP3 player with room to spare. I put the above unit together to use in my haunt. roll.gif

Hope that helps smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 2/8/2006 12:11:39 AM GMT
  • Lee HarkerLee Harker Posts: 104
    edited 2006-02-08 03:28
    Hi Tom,
    I have also struggled with the LCD bezel problem and have recently found a method that works pretty well.
    I used a transperency sheet that can be printed on an inkjet printer. It also works with laserjet printers with the correct sheet of course. You develop the graphics with whatever program you have and leave an area unprinted where the LCD display will show through. The area around the LCD can have whatever lettering graphics etc. that you want to make the project look cool. When you print the transperency, print it in mirror view so the ink will be on the back side of the sheet and be more protected.
    When the graphics are printed to your satisfaction and the fit is right, laminate the sheet. The laminating plastic really likes the transperancy sheets and they become one thick sheet.
    You can use a paper cutter to trim the finished sheet to size. Now you cover the LCD see-thru area with masking tape and spray the back with spray adhesive and stick it to your enclosure.
    A couple of small tips to consider. If your graphics program can do it, it looks professional if you do a shading from the LCD area to the outside area to cover any cutting inconsistancies. Also it works nice if you use an enclosure that has a small recess on the face so that the bezel sheet fits in the recess and stays protected.
    I have attached an example of the results.
    Hope this helps someone with this all too common challenge.

Lee Harker
    1152 x 864 - 380K
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2006-02-11 18:00
    Thanks Lee,

I will give it a try. In the meantime I bought a bezel from Scott Edwards Electronics. The mounting template is not applicable to the Parallax 2x16 LCD but the bezel itself will work just fine and I can use the hardware provided.

Tom Smuts