Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7 seg display problem PDB — Parallax Forums

7 seg display problem PDB

groebkegroebke Posts: 2
edited 2006-02-07 19:25 in BASIC Stamp
I just got the stampworks kit about a month ago;·and while doing the LED lab, found segments E and F are tied together on all 5 seven segment displays.· When I turn one pin high with just one wire to either pin E or F both segments light.· Has anyone else had the same problem or is this just a isolated problem?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-06 19:04
    It is isolated, I can assure you. Do this: Remove all wires from the 7-seg display connections, connect the digit 4 cathode connection to Vss, then connect segment F to Vdd (make sure nothing else is connected). If the problem still exists then it's likely a "solder blob" shorting the two segment lines together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • groebkegroebke Posts: 2
    edited 2006-02-07 18:35
    Hello Mr. Williams

·I appreciate·your timely response.

I did as you said and both segments still light.

Thank you for the information.· I also found your response to anothers problem with latency very helpful.·

Thanks again·for your help.

Greg Roebke
    edited 2006-02-07 19:22
    Greg,

Give our Tech Support group a call (888-99-STAMP) and they'll assist you in getting your PDB returned so that we can repair it for you. Sorry for any inconvenience the problem has caused you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-02-07 19:25
    One last thing: Look on the bottom of your PDB at the joints where the segment header is solder-in -- you might find the solder bridge there and be able to correct it yourself (that will save you the trouble and delay of returning the board). If you want to chat about this, PM me with your telephone number.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams