Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Industrial Control - Experiment #2 — Parallax Forums

Industrial Control - Experiment #2

mosemose Posts: 7
edited 2006-02-08 01:35 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to work through experiment #2 in the Industrial Control book Ver1.1 to use PWM to drive a 12VDC brushless fan at variable speed with an LM358 op amp and a 2N3904 transistor.· I measure·the voltage between pin 5 of the LM358 and ground and· can see it change from ~1.1V to ~5V·as I change the (duty) value in the PWM command from 60 to 254, which seems OK.··But the fan voltage measures ~3.5V at a duty of 60, goes to about 7.6V at a duty of 140, and then doesn't increase further as I increase the duty value up to 254.· I'm running off a DC power supply that I know is supplying 9VDC to the Board of Education Vin.· I tried both op amps in the LM358 package with no change.· The voltage measured at the base of the transistor tracks slightly less than a volt higher than the emitter voltage, so I don't think the transistor is bad either.· Plus I swapped out the transistor with same results.

Any suggestions?

Or any other ways to drive a brushless DC fan with variable voltage from 4 to 12 (maybe 14)VDC?

-mose

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 2/6/2006 2:43:09 AM GMT

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-02-06 14:53
    · I'm figuring that the duty cycle won't go to 100%.·
    · The apparent/effective/equivalent voltage (pulse pk. ampl. *·DU) is·what you are measuring with your DMM at the op-amp input.· So, with a 9V supply, you'd expect to measure 0.9V with 10% duty, 4.5V with 50%, and 8.1V with 90%.
    · Sounds like the output to the fan is from a common-collector (also known as an emitter-follower) amplifier, which is a current amplifier.· Its gain is "1", but in actuality it is <1; the output voltage is VB - VBE.· So, if VB = 8.1V, then: 8.1V - 0.7V = 7.4V
    ·
    Edit remarks /·follow-up
    I read the experiment and you are at "full output" at '140'.· And, as I have confirmed the output amp is a common-collector.· I think that all is in order.· If you want/need more speed/voltage then you'll need to increase the supply voltage.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 2/6/2006 5:33:13 PM GMT
  • mosemose Posts: 7
    edited 2006-02-06 16:31
    According to text, I should be able to get 14VDC to the fan with duty at 245 and 9VDC at Vin.· The text is attached.· Is the circuit incorrect for this application?
    edited 2006-02-06 17:27
    ··Maybe somebody knows something that I don't, source voltage in the schematic is 9V and·that's "rail" (absolute max): you can't get out·what you·don't put in (or provide)
    ·
    · If you have a +12V supply, the most you'll see at the transistor emitter (output) is 11.3V.· It seems to me that you could use a 12V supply to power the circuit illustrated.· You could use a higher value of Rf which would increase·the amplification and the output vs. duty value.

· Another thing -- is your power supply 9V Regulated or Unregulated?· An Unregulated supply would peak charge output to 13-14V, but a Regulated supply will stick at 9V (as it should.)
    ·

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 2/6/2006 5:40:56 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-02-06 17:41
    A "9-volt unregulated" supply could have a no-load voltage of near 14 volts, I guess. It seems high, I agree. But that's what the text is calling out, "9-volt unregulated". So, if you're using a battery, or a 9-volt regulated supply, then no, you can't get out more voltage than you put in.

You CAN actually get higher output voltages using a 'charge-pump' circuit configuration -- but that's not the configuration you have here.
    edited 2006-02-06 18:31
    I'm using a regulated 9V supply. I think the text means that the +9V at Vin doesn't go through the Board of Educations built in regulator which supplies +5V at Vdd.

What if I supply a separate +14V at Vin instead of the +9V shown, use a separate 9V regulated supply to power the Board of Education, and tie the grounds for the 9V and 12V supply together? Would this allow me to regulate a 4 to 14VDC to the fan without harming the Board of Education?

Or is there another circuit that would allow me to drive 4 to 14VDC to the fan using the PWM (or a different) stamp command?

Thanks for the help.
    edited 2006-02-06 18:37
    mose saith...
    What if I supply a separate +14V at Vin instead of the +9V shown, use a separate 9V regulated supply to power the Board of Education, and tie the grounds for the 9V and 12V supply together? Would this allow me to regulate a 4 to 14VDC to the fan without harming the Board of Education?
    By Jove, you've got it!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-02-07 21:21
    No, the text really means, that when you use a 9-volt UNREGULATED supply, it is actually giving you nearly 14 volts.

However, the circuit looks like it will work fine with a 14-volt REGULATED supply, so if that's what you have, you can go for it. The BS2 'Vin' pin drives an on-module regulator, so it can take anything between 5.5 and 21 volts (21 volts might be pushing it, actually).

DO make sure you use that zener the text calls out, to limit the voltage on the BS2 signal pin.
    edited 2006-02-07 23:07
    I used two supplies with a common ground - one 14V supplying the op-amp and transistor and one 9V at BOE input jack - because I didn't want to exceed the BOE input voltage rating.··With that I could regulate the fan voltage up to ~ 12VDC with the PWM command.·

It's a little confusing on the max voltage input for the 2.1mm center-positive plug on the Board of Education:· the writing on the pcboard says 6-9VDC, but the schematic in the BOE manual says 6-30VDC.
    ·
    edited 2006-02-08 01:35
    So, you had a successful experiment.
    Imagine, it's almost as though I know anything.
    Well, good then.