Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
433 MHz RF modules — Parallax Forums

433 MHz RF modules

Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
edited 2006-02-05 05:35 in Robotics
I see that the new RF modules will be available soon.· Will there be a transceiver module developed?

Is there are performance data·you would like to share on these new products?

Roger Ray

Comments

• Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
    edited 2006-02-04 22:18
    Let me try that again:

Do you have any performance data you would like to share on these new products?

For example, the distance at which the signal is still reliable, power consumed when broadcasting, projects you have used the modules in, etc.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-02-05 01:10
    Please don't take this the wrong way... I am a super duper huge fan of Parallax and try to buy from them whenever possible... I am curious though how these new 433 products (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27980) compare and contrast from the products sold at Rentron, Sparkfun, and others (http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/TWS-434.htm). The Parallax products for receiver and transmitter are $70 compared to the TWS receiver and transmitter that is about $15... again, I am not knocking Parallax, I would just like to understand what you get for the extra $55
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-05 01:24
    I really don't get into the RF stuff much, but a simple comparison tells me that the Parallax module is plug-and-play, others offer great prices on RF modules that require you to locate and attach a proper antenna (antenna mismatching can create a problem). You'll have to decide if that's worth you hard-earned dollars or not, and I have sent a note expressing your concern to our Marketing department.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-02-05 01:38
    Roger,

Our prior 433 MHz modules sold at $59 and $39 ($~100 a pair), as they were made by RF Digital. Now that we are making our own, they sell at $39 and $29 (~$70 a pair). They now cost 30% less than they used to, and when we develop a pair price it will be $49 or $59, about 40-50% less than the prior cost of a pair.

Our modules use the Lynx transmitter and receivers, and a newer module than our old version. You'll get up to 500 feet of serial communication. There is no transceiver planned a the moment, unless a customer request is made. Are you making a request for a transceiver?

We warrant ours are well-designed, properly supported, easy to use, and based on a quality RF chipset.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2006-02-05 02:26
    Roger,

· May I ask where you found the info about new RF modules being developed?· I'd love to read about it.

Thanks,

Tim
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-02-05 03:27
    Tim,·the product page: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27980

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/5/2006 3:38:41 AM GMT
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2006-02-05 05:35
    Thanks Paul!

Tim