Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem downloading programs to BS2 — Parallax Forums

Problem downloading programs to BS2

ScaryTinkerScaryTinker Posts: 5
edited 2006-02-12 02:08 in BASIC Stamp
I'm having a problem downloading code to the BS2.· On the order of 19 times out of 20 I get a "Hardware communication failure!· Check serial cable and power supply" error.·· The BS2's are mounted on USB versions of the PDB and BOE.· I'm downloading the code from a Generic Desktop computer running Windows XP Pro.

When I press the "Identify" button the computer correctly sees a BS2
There is a message at the bottom of the Editor that reads "Tokenize successful, Download failed"
The·Download staus bar shows progress and then I get the error message.· Progress·varies from 1% to·100%(rarely)
The problem occurs on two different development boards (A PDB and a BOE)
The problem happens more with longer programs but it also happens with clear.bs2 (a 4 line program)
I am using a 9volt battery on the BOE and the Parallax supplied adapter on the PDB.
I've changed out the USB cable using the cable from the PDB kit and the BOE kit.
I've tried different USB ports on and off a powered USB Hub and have plugged the cable directly into the PC.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the July 2005 Parallax CD.
I went to ftdichip.com and downloaded the VCP drivers for Windows XP (version 1.0.2176), uninstalled the old drivers and install the new drivers.
Device Manager in Windows does not show any malfunctioning drivers or devices.·

The problem has remained consistant through all of the above changes.

Any ideas what I might try next?

Steve

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-04 22:56
    ScaryTinker -

I'd try using the BOE with a new battery. See what happens then.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • ScaryTinkerScaryTinker Posts: 5
    edited 2006-02-05 05:00
    Thanks - Changing out the battery doesn't help
  • Microman171Microman171 Posts: 111
    edited 2006-02-05 08:42
    if you have access to a friends computer try it on their's and if that doesn't work then I have absolutly no idea because the chances of the same problem on the two boards are very slim so just to be sure try a friends module on your computer when it works on thier's and that will clarify whether or not it is the stamp boards or the computer. My bet is the computer side and I can't give any helpful advice except to get a new one??

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1 + 1 = Window

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    0.(Microman171@hotmail.com)..0
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-06 16:07
    Hello,

·· This sounds like a possible latency issue on the USB Port.· Try this...Go into your System Properties, Hardware Tab, Device Manager.· In the Ports category find the entry for the· USB Serial Port (Board must be plugged in) and double-click this entry.· This should open the USB Serial Port Properties.· Go to the Port Settings Tab and click Advanced.· Set the Latency Timer from 16 down to 1 and click Okay.· Click Okay on the previous Window as well then retry your code download.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-02-12 01:25
    Chris!

···· You are the man!·· I cranked the latency down to 1 and·downloads have succeeded 100% of the time so far.·· Thanks!

···· Can you briefly explain (in simple terms)· what was wrong and why changing the latency fixed things.·

Thanks

Steve
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-12 01:40
    Steve,

·· Since you mentioned a Desktop Computer I am at a loss to explain it myself.· Usually on laptops the power management and other settings (including hardware) can affect things like USB Latency and Serial FIFO operation, adversely affecting the BASIC Stamp, which has precise timing requirements for programming.· Thing is, this isn't usually a problem on a desktop.· But it's now something to keep in mind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-02-12 02:08
    Thanks so much!

Steve