Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR help — Parallax Forums

IR help

shmagooginshmagoogin Posts: 6
edited 2006-02-07 22:22 in BASIC Stamp
i want to make a type of alarm so that there is an ir led aross my door so that when some one walks in it will set of an alarm
but when someone has the correct RFID tags the ir led is disabled.
i have no idea how to use ir leds so i need some help on what kind to get and stuff like that.
and if i wanna amke this permanent i might buy one of those OEM basic stamps for like $30

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-06 15:54
    This is a simple task for a BS2 with the right programming.· The only thing you will need to work out is the timing of reading the RFID reader in between the monitoring of the IR detection.· In any event examples of using IR can be found in the RObotics with the BOE-Bot manual, and of course there is example code for the RFID reader.· Just be sure you implement a timeout on the SERIN.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-06 16:31
    I wrote this RFID program some time back and it does as Chris suggests: it uses a timeout in the SERIN statement.· You should be able to modify this program and replace the code at No_Tag with the appropriate code for checking the IR sensor.· Of course, you'll probably want to change the timeout value to something on the order of 250 ms -- this should give the reader enough time to scan a card, and if no card is present check the IR sensor frequently enough not to miss an intruder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • shmagooginshmagoogin Posts: 6
    edited 2006-02-07 00:04
    thanks guys
    but what would be the best ir led to use
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-02-07 00:07
    Use the New Parallax P-I-R Modules !!!!

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=555-28027
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-07 00:34
    For a doorway crossing I would be more inclined to use a Ping sensor. At start-up the program would measure the distance between the Ping and an opposing target -- if that drops by, say, more than 10% you probably have a person blocking the sensor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • shmagooginshmagoogin Posts: 6
    edited 2006-02-07 22:22