Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Broken Pin Repair - BS2 — Parallax Forums

Broken Pin Repair - BS2

gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
edited 2006-02-05 16:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Well, of course, eventually a student breaks a pin on their BS2. This one is P24, Vin. It partially seats in the socket, but really needs repair. Is there available a fix-it kit, or can someone point me to a source to find the necessary pin hardware to do the job? Since they are a little offset from the board pin, I can't really use a machine pin to replace it.
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-02-03 21:09
    What I would do:
    1. Break off what remains of pin 24 on the BS2
    2. Get a 24-pin socket (machine pin type) and place a piece of straight wire in pin 24 socket and solder that into the socket and bend it over (not sharply)
    3. Seat the BS2 into the 24-pin socket
    4. Bend the wire soldered to the socket and solder it to the top of the BS2 board in the Pin 24 place
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-02-04 22:07
    PJ,
    Capital suggestion! Works fine, not hard to do. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to seat ALL the stamps in a quality socket, the machine pins of the socket make it much easier to in and out the things.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
    edited 2006-02-04 22:14
    Totally awesome, dude -- STAMP Onward!
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2006-02-05 00:02
    gibbman,

When I first started out I did what Pj Allen has described with other IC's I had.

BTW) Wire wrap sockets work well for this kind of application. I guess you could call these "machine pin type"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-02-05 14:35
    Wire wrap sockets work well for this kind of application. I guess you could call these "machine pin type"
    Thanks, Beau. I'll try that, also. Seems WW sockets have pretty long leads, would you clip these to avoid any
    "antenna" effect? Or not a problem at STAMP speeds...
    Jim
    edited 2006-02-05 16:01
    · WW-terminals are not only long, but they're big, too.· I don't see anybody working/getting·one into an IC socket (the machine·pin sort --·no way; the side-wiper sort --·maybe once, with force.)· But, if you're of a mind to, you can probably make a lawn mower into a table lamp.
    ·